Chapter 37 - All The World's A Stage

"Y/n, slow down."

*Left jab* *Left jab* *Right jab* *Kick* *Upper cut* *Roundhouse kick* *Right jab*

"Seriously, you need to slow down."

*Right jab* *Left jab* *Upper cut* *Kick*

"Y/N!"

Steve grabs your fist mid-jab, stopping your punch from making contact with the bag in front of you.

"WHAT?!" you yell, tearing your balled hand from his grip and taking several steps back, breathing heavily.

"You need to slow down," Steve sighs. "You're going to hurt yourself. It'll take time to build back up to where you were before you got hurt."

You scowl, tearing off your boxing gloves and tossing them into your gym bag, grabbing it gruffly from the ground and storming out.

Loki had been missing for two full weeks.

He's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s top priority. Every premier agent has been out in the field 24-7 searching for him, but he's nowhere to be found. Even Odin remanded Thor to Earth until he's found. But so far, Thor has had no luck. In fact, you haven't seen him for over week. Last you heard, he's somewhere in Norway searching for his little brother.

As you step from the elevator, you instinctually turn left toward your quarters. But something in you makes you stop, and pulls your glance down the hall to the right. To Loki's quarters. For a moment, you're frozen in place. Something urges you to Loki's room. You've never set foot in his room - even before it was his. You don't understand why now, all of a sudden, you feel a desire to explore his space.

You're angry. Sore. Tired. You know you should turn around and go back to your own room.

But your feet are moving, your legs carrying you further down the hall. Past Clint's guest room. Past Steve's room. Until you're in front of Loki's door.

Your hand hesitates on the handle.

You shouldn't violate his privacy.

Fuck that, you think to yourself. He violated your trust. Violating his privacy doesn't even compare.

You slide open the door to his room and step inside, expecting to find a mess, much like you had up in the tower.

But it's perfectly kept.

Not a pillow out of place.

Confused, you walk slowly around the room, looking for even a sign that Loki had ever occupied the space. You open drawers, check the wardrobe, and pull back the covers on the bed, but there is not a single sign that Loki was ever there.

"He was only ever in here once - the day I showed him this room."

You jump slightly at Steve's voice in the doorway. "What do you mean?" you ask, turning to him with a confused look on your face. "He lived out here with you all for over a month, so where did he stay?"

"He never left your room, Y/n."

You heart sinks, and you remember Heimdall mentioning Loki spending time in your quarters. You didn't realize just how much time that had to have been. It's a relief, almost, knowing that you're not just imagining that your pillow still smells like him.

"He stayed in my room? The whole time?" you question. " You're sure?"

Steve nods, and looks down at his hands as he picks at his nails.

"I take it everyone pretty much knows, then?" you ask.

Steve lets out a small laugh, glancing up at you through his brow. "I've known from the first day, Y/n," Steve says softly. "And, well, it wasn't too tough a leap for the rest of the team to make after his meltdown."