C H A P T E R T W E N T Y- N I N E

Song: Lovely by Billie Eilish and Khalid

"XANTE," CHIDINMA CRIED in a whisper, trying to open her eyes, voice hoarse from use. Flashes of pain hit her with every breath and the only think she could think of was her baby. Bruises littered her dark skin and her chest hurt like something fierce. Chidinma was also certain that one of her ribs were fractured, "Xante,"

She had lost sense of all time as she leaned against the brick wall. She coughed into her hands, a racking one that shook her skinny frame and blood splattered on the cement floor.

Definitely a fractured rib.

Chidinma felt tears trail down her face as she tried to take deep breaths, but the pain was overwhelming. Her right eye was so swollen, she could barely open it. Her skin was pale, as her bones stood out, pulled taut against her skin. He wig had been pulled harshly off her hair, and the braids underneath were coming out. She placed her bony hand against her stomach as gulped down the nausea.

Chidinma was unrecognizable.

"Onye mere nwa nebe akwa," Chidinma sang softly, trying to calm the burning nausea, stroking her stomach slightly. It came out as just a whisper because with every breath she took, her lungs protested in pain. This was an Igbo song Chidinma remembered her mom singing to a crying baby Chioma, even though she had her own reasons to cry, "Egbe mere nwa nebe akwa. Weta uziza weta ose. Weta ngaji nkuru ofe,"

She thought of Xante and the baby, her family, her mom and her friends, trying to gain strength, but it was so hard. All she could feel was the blinding pain, white dots filling her vision, as she slid down to lie on the cold, cement floor, "Umu... nnunu... aracha ya,"

Chidinma's vision focused on a corner of the windowless room, where she saw herself wearing a white suit and white heels. The other version of herself was healthy, black wig in a neat, shoulder length bob. The only thing of color that stood out against the monochromatic white was the dark red lipstick, on her lips.

"Eh! Eh! amaghim onye owu," The other Chidinma replied with raised eyebrows. (Igbo: Eh Eh, I don't know)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Mummy, I'm leaving right now," Chidinma exclaimed to her mother on the phone, with a smile as she stepped out of the house. It was early in the morning and the only other person who was awake was Chioma. Chidinma gave a sigh as she thought of her sister and the words the exchanged the evening before. While they were harsh, they pushed Chidinma and now, Chidinma felt a sense of relief now that Nnamdi Okereke was dead.

Her baby was safe now.

She skipped towards the G-Wagon, opening the drivers side when Ibrahim stood up from his chair hastily, and appeared in front of her.