Chapter 31

I can't help but think life is finally granting me a break.

Everything is going surprisingly... well.

Its suspicious as fuck and I'm scared to trust it.

But I am really trying not to let the fear of the what if control my life. I can't keep going like that. Life if full of risks and you won't go anywhere if you don't take any.

I'm learning.

Oh, and I'm celebrating.

The girls wanted to get together since we've officially marched into the last few weeks of summer break. I also got a very interesting mail sent to me on Sunday morning.

Informing me I've secured myself a position at Sandria Lee's intern program.

So yeah, it's time for drinks.

It's also high time I have Cassie over to meet the girls. I planned to do it a while ago but I've been taking extra shifts at the store to keep myself busy over the summer.

I picked her up an hour ago and now I'm just trying to assure her they're going to love her.

''But they aren't like... bitchy, right?'' she asks for the millionth time.

''Honey,'' I turn away from the stove with a soft, ensuring look. ''I wouldn't be friends with them if they weren't bitches. But they won't be anything but nice to you, believe me.''

''All right,'' she huffs.

She doesn't seem convinced.

''Why are you so worried about this?'' I have to ask.

''Uh,'' she stammers. ''I don't know. Never mind, it's stupid.''

''Cass.''

''The last time I actually hung out with a group of girls like a normal person...'' she gestures a hand in her wheelchairs direction. ''This wasn't a thing.''

''And you think they'll treat you differently because of it?''

''I mean, if I had to guess I'd say no because I don't think you'd ever hang out with those kinds of people but-''

''But nothing, Cass.'' I interrupt, still looking her in the eyes so she can see the honesty behind mine. I know how her friends in high school started to treat her like a porcelain doll after her accident, not inviting her anywhere big anymore and acting as if she's fragile and breakable. She told me how that fucked with her head even more than coming to terms with her new way of living. ''You're right, I would never hang out with those kinds of people, so stop stressing yourself out and let me introduce you to your new best friends.''

''I kid you not, I would carry the man's babies.'' Nara exclaims.

''Damn, I wouldn't mind providing some siblings,'' Soyana voices from the other side of the couch.

We're watching Divergent so you can already guess who they're talking about.

''You know, I've always had a thing for the James brother... Theo isn't really doing it for me.'' Ivana matters.

''You and your fascination with older men,'' Soyana rolls her eyes and the girls chuckle in accord.

Ivana snorts. ''Y'all keep laughing. While you bitches are getting played by these immature frat boys, I'm getting marriage proposals and good dick.''

Nara nods in agreement. ''Older men is where it's at.''

''So are we going to tiptoe around it all night?'' Jenn suddenly burst out.