15. Invasion

-Arch-

-Arch-

I stayed by myself for a few days. I didn't go to school, and I didn't hang out with Jaden and Tilly after they got home. I didn't even speak to my parents and avoided everyone else. I just needed to be completely alone. I still wanted answers, but this time, I wanted them from myself, and I couldn't hear a thing with so many people around me.

Most of the time, I walked around the forest, finding quiet places to lay down. As I stared at the snowy nature in front of me, I tried to understand. I tried to listen. I tried to figure out the answers.

But how was I supposed to know if I could ever consider him as my mate if I knew nothing about him? Jack Thorn.

I didn't know how to feel about him. As the days passed by, and that was the only thing on my mind, I understood that I already had my answer.

I didn't know how I felt about Jack Thorn. Simple as that. But knowing that didn't help me at all.

On Thursday, I was aimlessly wandering around the town as a wolf, partly keeping an eye out for anything unusual and partly deep in my thoughts. I'd been outside for a few hours, so it had to be around noon already. Jaden and Tilly were at school, and I knew they already missed me. I wasn't getting anywhere with my quest for answers, so I figured I may as well join them tomorrow.

Before I noticed it, I had arrived at the hunters' headquarters. Their building didn't interest me, but I still found myself coming there often. Jack's house was close by...

I turned to look at the tiny little pathway in between the trees. I wasn't sure how long I stared at it before I took the first careful step towards it. And another one.

A short moment later, I was standing between the trees where the pathway started. Jack's house was down there, in the distance. I could see a corner of his roof.

I lay down before I could go any closer. Jaden's words echoed in my head, and so did my parents'. And Oliver's. And that guard's. Everyone's, really. And most of all, I'd been thinking about everything Jack had said.

What was the right thing to do? I had to make the right call, but what on earth was I supposed to do?

Suddenly, I could smell him close by. I stood up and looked around until I was sure I could hear his footsteps somewhere in the pathway. I had taken several steps towards him before I even remembered I was supposed to keep my distance. I stopped and lay back down.

Then I saw him. He exited the forest, carrying a pile of firewood in his arms. After a few more steps, he stopped and turned to look straight at me. I wagged my tail, but his expression turned hostile, and he continued marching to his cabin without saying a word.

I rested my head on the snow, letting out a sad sigh. I just wanted to talk...

What was I supposed to do...?