16 The Monthly Son Meeting

Charlie~~

Dad decided that his monthly meeting with his sons would be in the lounge in my house. He likes the idea of having a glass of whiskey with his boys. I think it makes us older in his eyes and him younger.

The three males of the quadruplets, and then Thomas, Chase, and Dallas—the triplets—are the only ones who are legally able to drink in our country in the outside world. But in the dream, anyone can drink at sixteen—the age of new dreamers, meaning Kyle, Tyler, and me get to drink. If Aiden at fourteen were here and instead weren't spending his obligatory year in the dream without his memories, Dad would even let him have a glass too. Clay and Preston aren't allowed to being only twelve and ten.

Liam who's also ten isn't allowed to join.

Dad has five wives and has been married six times. He has twenty-seven children but three of them aren't from his marriages. Liam is one of those children. The three of them have been living in the dream since they turned ten. They'll stay in the dream, unaware they're asleep unless they're Lucid, until they die, unlike my other siblings who only have to sleep for one year.

Amant who runs the southern facility is perched on top of the piano stool. He tells us how the facility is running smoothly under his supervision.

Dad hovers near the fireplace mantel, the fire, I'm sure, gives off a wonderful warmth. "How are the tests on your Lucid coming?"

In my seat near the back of the room between Kyle and Tyler, I tense. The two of them notice.

"I've moved two of them into a separate dream. The other two I woke up and put back in Somnia to see how long it takes them to realize they're dreaming again. That was only yesterday."

"Good." Dad dips his head, letting his chin sweep in an arch as he looks toward where Hewn leans against the wall. "And what of your study?"

Hewn stands up straight. "The memories seem to be successfully altered, but I'll need more time to see how it affects the subject."

Kyle tosses back the rest of his whiskey.

I don't want to know what Sabine's update would be if she were here. Dad also has a monthly meeting with his daughters. It's Moscato and rosé for them, which honestly I'd prefer if the options are between that and whiskey.

"Charlie," Dad says, "how's Nora?"

I promptly finish my whiskey, swallowing back the burn. "She's acclimating well."

Stefan sips from his drink, spread out on a loveseat all by himself. "She was charming, Dad."

Amant presses his fingers down on a few of the high keys on the piano. Kyle cringes, and Amant says, "I'd like a chance to meet her. You've been talking so much about her, Dad." What is Dad telling them that he's not telling me?

"That's why I've arranged for Charlie to introduce her to you, Hewn, and me." Dad's gaze shifts to me daring me argue.

My fingers tighten around my glass. "When?"

"After this meeting. You'll rift me, Hewn, Amant, and Stefan to your office."

"I sent her home for the day."

He tsks and frowns. "No, you didn't. You sent her that email asking her to stay until you returned, remember?"

I set my glass on the floor before I can chuck it at him and stand. "You mean to tell me she's been sitting there for hours with nothing to do?"

"You shouldn't have told her to wait for you then."

Debating going through with throwing the glass at his head, I close my eyes and picture the outside of my office.

"Charlie." His voice shatters the image in my mind. "You don't want to know what will happen if you leave without us."

"Apologies, Dad." I grit my teeth. "I thought you may want me to prepare a bottle of wine and a cheese platter."

He waves his hand, ignoring my tone. "That won't be necessary. Now sit down. I want to have one-on-one time with each of my boys before we leave."

I collapse into my seat. Nora's going to hate me. She'll probably even quit.

I'd send her an email, telling her to go home and apologizing profusely, but Dad made us put our phones on the fireplace mantel.

No distractions, he said.

*****

Two hours later, Dad is ready to go. I make Hewn and Amant hold my hand and have them hold onto Stefan's and Dad's.

Again, I close my eyes, recreating the outside of my office in my mind, picturing the spot in the alley behind some crates I placed there to shield me for when I suddenly appear most mornings.

I open my eyes, and Dad, my three brothers, and I are standing behind the crates. Dad looks bored, but my brothers all have varying levels of wonder on their faces despite having rifted with me before.

At the door, I swipe my card over the sensor, and with a click after the sensor reads the card, the door slides open.

Nora looks up from her computer, her hair messy as if she's ran her hands through her hair many times in the past four hours.

Brushing past me, Dad steps to the front. "Nora Everley."

Nora's eyes widen and her lips part. She recognizes him. She wouldn't know how, but that look is clear. It's as if she's seen a ghost.

My hands get clammy as my heart starts to pound.

Nora's expression relaxes but is still guarded. "Yes?" She pushes back her desk chair and stands.

"I'm Richard Pace." Another Pace is what I'm sure she's thinking. I can only see the back of his head, but I can picture his face, the lazy smile and focused eyes he wears when charming someone.

Nora looks decidedly unimpressed, and her eyes shift to me. "Charlie, I didn't think you'd be back this early." Based on her tone, I'd say she wants to murder me if she knew what that was.

I place one hand behind my back and gesture to my brothers. "Nora, you've already met Stefan. This is Hewn and Amant. Forgive the lack of notice. They rather unexpectedly decided they wanted to see my office."

"Hewn and Amant Pace," Dad adds. "Charlie tells me you're new to the city."

On her desk are pieces of paper littered with letters of the alphabet written in various styles of cursive. It looks like she was practicing her penmanship. She's had four hours to try to keep herself busy. I already show up late on her first day, and now she's forced to stay at work with no task or reason given after I had told her in person she could go home.

"I am," Nora answers him.

"Someone from the welcoming committee left her house full of food and clothes," I say, silently pleading he doesn't question what I mean by welcoming committee.

"They also left a bubble bath for me." Nora shuts her laptop. "All very generous of them. What is it you needed my help with, Charlie?"

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. "A party."

"A party?" both Nora and Hewn ask.

"For Tye. I want to thank him for working so hard." I cringe. "I thought we could surprise him with it when he comes in tomorrow morning."

Nora bites her lip. What I've said is hardly an excuse.

I face my family. "I'd like to let Nora go home soon. I'll see you all later." I open the door. "Don't trip on the steps on your way out."

As a thank you for reading, please feel free to share your books in the comment section here. And if you want, include a description! 

~Mikaela