38.

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you.

~Yellow by Coldplay~

STERLING'S POV:

I run down the stairs full speed, almost toppling over myself as I jump off of the third step, landing on the ground. I hold my laptop tightly in my arms, pressing it against my chest for safety as I slide through the kitchen, and down the hall.

"DAAAADDDDDDDD!" I scream as I slide into his door, my socks creating zero friction, almost causing me to faceplant. I stabilize myself as I push the door to his office open, and he's smiling wide.

"Amy I-" He looks up, noticing me which I'm not sure how he didn't before. He must be really captivated by his conversation with Amy... My former principal. I love that he's falling in love despite the fact that he won't admit it to me... But right now is not the time for love, it's time for him to get off of the phone. "I'm on the phone Ster, maybe in a-" I walk up, and take the phone.

"Hi Ms Homes! It's Sterling, and I'm supposed to be getting my college letter any second now!" I tell her, and my dad sits up straight, remembering what day today is.

"Oh Sterling that's wonderful! I wish I could be there to congratulate you when you get in." She boasts, beaming about my acceptance that hasn't even come yet. "Well I'll let your dad go.. We were just talking about.. The memorial/" She lies, and I nod.

"It was nice talking to you." I hand the phone back to my dad, and roll my eyes. I don't know why he's afraid to tell me he's seeing someone. It's been over ten years since I've seen my dad with anyone.. Especially with me possibly going off to college, I want him to have a significant other.. Nothing would make me happier. "I'll be in the kitchen!" I whisper, and he nods. I run back out of the office, and call Harry but as soon as it rings I hear the door open as I walk past the kitchen.

"Ster?" He calls out, and I smile, knowing him Anne, Gemma, and Robin are here for dinner tonight.. They called it a celebration dinner with the whole family, and I hate the name... Mostly because neither of us know yet.. They're all getting ahead of themselves.

"In the kitchen!" I call out, and I watch as he comes in first. He has his laptop in his arms just like mine is. I go towards the counter, setting mine down, and his family comes in behind him. Anne brings the food in, and Robin helps as Gemma jumps over to me, wrapping her arms around me from behind as I sit down. "Hey Gem." I smile, hugging her back.

"You ready?" She asks, and I give a nervous sigh.

"I don't think I've ever been this nervous in my entire life." I admit, and I feel Harry reach down and grab my hand as he sits on the stool next to me.

"Well let's not make you more nervous, we'll talk about something different for the time being." Anne speaks to me as she opens the oven, placing it there to keep it warm.

"Are you excited for Christmas?" Robin asks, and my dad walks in the room as I set my laptop open, just as Harry is doing. We both pull our emails up, waiting for the notification, and my dad shakes his head.

"She hasn't shut up about all of us spending Christmas together since we spent Thanksgiving together." My dad jokes, and I continue staring at the computer screen. My dad walks forward, and tilts the screen down. "Staring at it wont make the email come faster, you know that no matter what-" My computer dings, and I scream.

"Ah!" I cover my hands over my mouth, and Harry jumps at the sound of my scream, and then his computer dings too so I know this must be it. My chest tightens, and I watch as Anne claps her hands.