epilogue two: the 2000s

2001

"draco! letter from blaise!"

i shout from the foyer, sending our owl away with a great and the. returning to pick miscellaneous toys off the ground.

"in the library!" draco shouts back from my left, and in a minute i'm winding my way through the halls until i reach the large oak doors.

i tuck a few things i've collected on my journey beneath my arm, including a stuffed dragon, a toy broomstick, and a book on muggle inventions.

i press my side into the door to swing it open, quickly taking stock of the room as i step inside.

i see draco sitting in on of the large, burgundy arm chairs, a book in his lap and a small boy— just under two years old— bouncing on his knee.

"and that's a...?" draco prompts, pointing at the page open in the book.

"hilplogwiff!" the baby says enthusiastically, jabbing a chubby finger towards where draco is pointing.

"fucking genius this kid is!" draco beams, lifting his head to look up at me.

"language," i remind him, dropping the toys down into a nearby wicker bin.

draco rolls his eyes, wrapping a hand around the baby's side as he grabs to flip the page.

"knee-zwell!" he shouts, his finger jamming into the book again, "dwagon!" he leans into the next page.

draco looks up at me with a raised brow and a smirk, and i just know he's saying, "fucking genius," in his head. i chuckle under my breath, shaking my head.

i extend the hand holding the letter in front of me as i walk over, handing it to draco before lifting the baby up under the arms and resting him on my hip.

"is dad teaching you all about animals, theodore?" i say sweetly, turning my head to our child as i bounce him up and down lightly, earning hearty belly-laughs in return.

"dwagon!" he says again, this time pointing towards the pile of toys i've just brought in.

"go on," i say, kissing him quickly atop the head before leaning down and placing him at my feet. "your phoenix is in there too."

theo claps in delight as he walks— with some stumbles— towards the toy bin, his slightly overlarge green pajamas gathering at his feet.

i keep an eye on him until his blond head dips into the case of wicker, digging through his stuffed animal options for the day and tossing them behind him.

i look back to draco, who's smiling at me from his seat in the chair.

"what'd blaise say?" i ask, nodding to the opened letter in his lap.

"says he wants to take theodore to see dragon's next week," draco sighs slightly, lowering his voice, "he's got a business trip to romania that we could tag along on for a day—"

"dwagons?!" theo suddenly shouts, and in a minute he's back beneath my legs, holding his stuffed romanian longhorn tightly in his fist. "uncle blaise has dwagons?"

i narrow my eyes at draco for a moment and he frowns apologetically, before looking down at theo.

"uncle blaise is going to see dragons for work," draco explains, leaning his elbows forward onto his knees as he speaks. "if mum and i can get a day off— we might be able to visit him—"

"yes! yes!" theo shouts, hugging his dragon tighter and jumping at my feet.

draco continues more seriously, "it's just a possibility, theodore—"