Chapter 57: "Sweet Beginnings"

After calming down Maia enough to stop her tears, you invited her into the kitchen to help you cook dinner.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" You asked as she sat on the counter.

She wiped a tear from her face, "S-Sans, actually."

"You sure?" You asked as you started getting your ingredients together.

"Yeah, if that's okay with you." She responded, then gave a weak smile.

"Of course it's okay with me! Now, go ahead." You smiled in return, then dipped your head.

"Well, you already know that I fancy him. I just know I need to make a move before I leave... That is, if you think he's even interested." She took a hair tie out and pulled up her hair, then looked to you as you snorted.

"I'm sorry, but that's not even a question. Sans absolutely has the hots for you." You responded, then got out a pot.

Maia turned red, then coughed. "Well, I guess he is pretty friendly—"

"I'd call that more than friendly. His entire self lights up when you're around. Not only that, but he stares at you blushing all the time. It's adorable." You replied, knowing you're not betraying Sans' trust because everyone already knows.

Maia glanced away out of embarrassment, "Really?" she asked, not fully believing you.

"Absolutely!" You spoke, moving to her and taking both of her hands into your own.

"I would not lie about this." You spoke softly, then moved away again.

"Then what about his outburst?" She asked, leaning forward and crossing her legs.

"He desperately doesn't want you to leave and he's frustrated that there's nothing he can do to stop it."

"Oh, dammit! I feel so bad now. I wish this all hadn't happened. Then maybe we could both be happy." She groaned, then sighed and leaned her head against the cabinet.

"No Maia, you both know the fun times you've shared are worth every second. If they'd be gone, think of how bleak your trip would have been." Maia looked down, her green eyes watery.

"Just because you have to separate doesn't mean that you two need to suffer even more. Remember to cherish the amazing times and hold onto them until the next meeting."

She looked up, sniffling. "What if there's not a 'next time'?"

"That's not even an option, you know none of us will let you stay away for long. You are absolutely needed here and we all love you dearly." You smiled, then turned and began to get cooking.

"Y-yeah. I suppose you're right." She tapped her fingers on the counter, then turned back to you.

"Well, what do I do about the elephant in the room?" She asked suddenly and you turned around.

"Tell him how you feel. As soon as you can see him face-to-face, let your heart loose." You responded calmly.

"You sure that won't be too soon? O-or..."

You cut her off. "Maia. You're about to leave to go back to California for who knows how long, it's not too soon."

"Fair enough." She bit her lip, then nodded.

"Okay. I'll be sure to invite him here as soon as possible then. I really don't want to leave without telling him how I feel." She admitted while playing with her ponytail.

"I cannot blame you. If it was me and Papyrus, I'd feel the same way." You responded, then turned back around.

She paused for a moment, then tapped her fingers against the countertop again. "Speaking of Papyrus, mind if I ask a question?"