🌞Chapter 6

🌞

Mild greeted the doorman at the entrance and rode the elevator to the top floor. This was practically his second home. Opening the door with his spare key, Mild headed onto the sitting room, expecting to see his friend.

Mew was sprawled indifferently on the sofa. His silk shirt was unbuttoned, revealing the bare skin of his chest. When he saw Mild out of the corner of his eye, he raised the wine glass in his right hand apathetically.

"You're pretty late, aren't you?" he greeted. "I was getting tired of waiting."

Mild could tell Mew was in a bad mood.

'So what else is new?'

Since graduating, it had been more exceptional to see Mew in a good mood than otherwise.

"I didn't think you'd get to London this quickly," Mild explained.

"It's all because of that letter of yours," Mew growled.

Mild grinned toothily. "Sure snapped you out of your boredom out there in the country, didn't it?"

"Thanks, yes," Mew said sarcastically. "It was all exactly as you'd said."

"Don't you think it's time you gave up and got married, Mew?" Mild asked, concern evident his voice.

His friend shrugged his shoulders dismissively, his face sulky. "Don't be ridiculous. Who would I marry? None of the girls in the right families interest me. I'm doing enough just living out the life that's been set out for me."

"That's a pretty constructive opinion for you," Mild remarked.

"Constructive?" A confused expression clouded Mew's face for a moment, but then he began to laugh softly. "Mild, I just had the most wonderful idea."

"Let me say something first," Mild interrupted. "I really do think it's best if you get married like your father's will says."

If Mew continued this idle lifestyle, it would ultimately destroy his body and his spirit. If he were to marry, he could lead a healthier life. That was why he had to marry. But the truth was, these words didn't express Mild's true feelings.

"Never mind that," Mew said dismissively. "Just listen. I will get married. But it'll be a sham. I'll marry someone , get my inheritance once and for all, and then kiss my 'wife' goodbye."

"Do you think that would work?" Mild asked dubiously. "Most women are pretty greedy. Do you think you can find a woman who'll just give up being Lady Jongcheveevat voluntarily?"

"I know of such a woman," Mew assured him. "About two years ago, I became acquainted with very nice woman. Her horrible situation in life moved me to give her my family's heirloom ring."

"You don't mean the blue diamond?" Mild asked incredulously.

He had barely been surprised by anything Mew had done in all the time he'd known him, but now he was at a loss. There were only a hand of such treasures in the world. He couldn't comprehend simply giving the ring to a stranger.

"She said she wouldn't sell it," Mew drawled, "though its price would have supported her for the rest of her life. She only said she wanted to see me again. Isn't that an unselfish woman? I'm sure she would be willing to help."

"Maybe she didn't know how much the ring was worth?" Mild guessed.

"Who cares?" Mew said. "I'm going to find her. If she still has the ring, she'll be my fake bride."

"And what if she did sell it after all?" Mild asked.

"I'll buy it back and find another woman," Mew answered

Mild pushed on. "Do you think you can find another one that easy?"

"What would be so much easier is if you were a woman, Mild," Mew joked.

Mild stared at his friend. "I think it'd be better if you were a woman. You'd be much easier to deal with."

Mew laughed boisterously. He thought his friend was kidding.

'Well, I'm not going to set him straight,' Mild thought.

"I'm sorry to spring this on you, but I'd like you to come with me," Mew said after his laughter had subsided.

"I'm at your service, my lord," Mild mocked.

His friend frowned at him.

TBC