Part 27

Does she enjoy working? Yes.

Does she enjoy socialising? Yes.

Does she enjoy interacting with co-workers who she's never met? No.

Conrad reluctantly leaves her office, seeing Carlos beckoning to her.

The nine office workers, not including Carlos or herself, are gathered around one of the vacant desks in the lowest part of the office, laughing and chatting.

"Guys, this is our new co-worker. Her name is Conrad Rosser; she's worked here before. She's a tracker, and our current chief-of-staff until we can organise alternative arrangements. After that, she'll be leading our trackers," Carlos declares, and one of the women purses her lips.

Oh no. She's going to be bitchy, Jane murmurs.

"What experience does she have?" The woman asks, which Conrad thinks is a very valid question. If she's going to be her boss, however briefly, she has the right to question her.

"I'm the future Beta of the Marcus pack. I've worked here for four months before as a primary tracker and analyst. I have plenty of experience in the human world, too," Conrad informs her, a small smile on her face.

"Nice to have you," the woman says after a moment, and Conrad grins at her.

"Which pizza do you like the most? I will be judging you based on this." One of the men asks, a broad smile on his face.

He's dressed in cargo trousers and a dark green t-shirt, the uniform a lot of the male trackers seem to have made for themselves.

"I like bacon and peppers. I know, not the most exciting," she chuckles, and he nods approvingly, "acceptable, though."

Carlos watches the interactions optimistically.

If they like his hire, there's a chance he could earn his employee's approval.

He's a horrible person to work under, and he's well aware of that; he's something of a perfectionist, and he can be absently rude, especially if he's interrupted while working on one of his little projects.

"I'm Aaron," one of the male trackers calls across the desk, leaning over the table to shake her hand.

"I'm Scarlet," one of the women announces, giving her a nod.

Everyone introduces themselves, and Conrad is informed that Aaron and Scarlet are the two main trackers she'll be working with.

She knows Carlos has always been passionate about gender equality and making sure women had the same opportunities as men, so she's unsurprised when she finds out that more than half of the tracking team are female.

It's a little weird for her to be interacting with co-workers.

In her marketing position, she never sees anyone unless she's in the office, and even then, she only speaks to her office-mate.

Her phone rings, and Conrad frowns, looking down at her pocket.

"Go answer it; someone is obviously desperate to get through to you," Carlos murmurs, scaring her a little bit.

She hadn't noticed him approaching her.

"I'll be back in a minute," Conrad sighs, pulling her phone out.

Before she walks away, Carlos notices the male name flashing on the screen.

"Hey Derek," Conrad murmurs, walking towards the door.

She remembers that she lacks a key card until this evening, so she wouldn't be able to let herself back in.

She decides to head for her office and walks up the steps on the phone.