Chapter 42: Two Sides

So. . . I've been practicing chess. Decided to try it out again about a week or two ago. And I'm getting addicted to playing it. Wtf.

~~~

Naruto stood right in front of the Kyuubi in a very nonchalant manner. It seems like Naruto was making the commitment to come in contact with the Kyuubi.

And for what reason? It doesn't matter.

"To think you would reach out to me," said the Kyuubi, staring down at Naruto with a scary gaze. Naruto stood there unaffected by that said gaze.

~~~

Earlier that Day. . .

Naruto sat at his table in complete and utter silence. He was currently was playing chess while he formulated the plan from earlier to an even greater extent.

He liked playing black. Why? Even though white always went first, he can formulate a plan just from the first move. Though that can't really plan right now since he was playing against himself.

Naruto moved up his pawn, his knight just a couple of tiles behind. With his hand, he reaches out and grabbed the white knight and knocked out the pawn.

And without hesitation, Naruto got his black knight and knocked out the white knight. He yawned slightly right after making his move.

Though the move that Naruto had just made truly only depends on the player itself. Naruto knew that there was most definitely a better move than just simply sacrificing his pawn just so he could kill off the white knight.

But in the end of the day — pawns were disposable, but knights? Not so much.

This is because the knights have their uses, and once they serve their purpose, then they are as disposable as a pawn.

Every piece except the King has a single purpose. That is to sacrifice themselves and tactically destroy the people that threaten their King's safety.

Some may argue that they also have to protect the Queen do to it being the strongest piece on the board, but in the end, the Queen is just simply the strongest pawn in the King's arsenal.

Their worth is greater than that of a every piece, but the fact remains that its purpose is also to protect the King. Of course, Naruto won't hold a grudge if a person has an opinion that differs from him.

"And. . . checkmate," Naruto said, observing how he achieved his win. To put his win in simple and realistic terms — the King cornered himself in a corner.

Literally.

The King had locked himself in a corner with a rook and two pawns guarding it. Naruto simply just placed a knight diagonal to the rook and right next to one of the pawns.

Not only did the King have no legal moves left, but the King was also in check. With that, Naruto knocked all the pieces. He was done for the day. Naruto looked back towards the plans that he had set up for himself.

From Monday to Friday, he shall train from 8 AM to just about 4 AM. It'll take an hour to get back to the apartment, so it'll be 5 AM by the time he gets back.