Chapter 13: Trial Escape

The time had come.

Adaline had had enough of smiling and putting up with everyone. She had not unpacked in the month that she was there and had stashed the duffel bag inside the bathroom, pretending to have unpacked her belongings. The knives were still inside and so was her set of bow and arrows.

After keeping watch for another week just to make sure that she got it right, Adaline swung the bag across her shoulder, armed herself with her knives, swung her bow and quiver of arrows across her bag and jumped out of the second floor of her room. She controlled the winds to help her with the fall and was surprised when her powers actually listened to her. She rolled on the floor and looked around, a cat in the dark. She could hear the voices of the guards at a faint distance.

She started to walk towards the pavilion, her heart pounding against her chest the entire time. The compound was darker than she had anticipated but she knew her way around. She counted the number of steps backwards from where she stood because that would lead her to the opening. Maybe not all Grisha are powerful, she thought as she found herself staring at her mode of escape. She touched the broken barrier and felt the rough wood brush against the surface of her palm. 

She turned around and looked at the Little Palace. "I will not miss you." She smiled before slipping through the opening.

It was very early in the morning but she was finally out! She was finally free! 

She took shelter under the shades of a tree until the sun came out and she could see more clearly. Only one thought was running through her mind - how was she going to find the main road? The back of the palace led towards the town and the bazaar, but how was she going to find it? She had to. She just had to.

When dawn broke the surface, she picked up her belongings once again and walked straight ahead. The forest seemed to go on and on but it looked very familiar to her - as if from a dream. The same feeling had washed her over back at the castle. There were a few things that she couldn't place. She seemed to never get lost at the palace, and it did feel like from a dream to her. But Adaline shook her head and continued walking.

There was a cracking of a branch from behind her. Her heart seemed to stop but adrenaline rushed to her brain. She quickly moved towards a tree nearby and hid behind the boughs and leaves. She saw a set of blonde locks walking forwards. He wasn't armed but he was dressed up like someone that belonged in the palace. He simply stood there with his hands crossed across his chest. "You can come out whenever you want. I'll wait here for you forever." There was something about his voice that confused her. It sounded so familiar and yet so distant.

She walked out with a knife in both her hands. "Who are you?"

He was wearing a white tunic and black trousers. He was wearing ravish boots though. He was definitely someone from the castle. "What are you doing here so early?"

"What do you think?"

There was a silence between them where they continued to stare at each other. "I have to take you back, you know?"

"I won't come." She was firm on getting out and that was it. She wouldn't hesitate to hurt him.

He sighed and stood straighter. "Then the guards will initiate the lockdown and the entire town will be searching for you."

She kept her knives back inside her bag and held the straps with a tight grip

She kept her knives back inside her bag and held the straps with a tight grip. Was she really going to go back? She saw no other choice in front of her. She was caught. "What will you tell them?" She asked as they started walking besides each other in the way that she had come all the way.

"I'll find something to tell," he said with a smug smile.

"How did you even find me?" She asked, exasperated to her very core. She was so close to leaving but what mistake had she made?

He looked at her and considered lying but decided to tell the truth. What did he have to hide? "You're not the only one who wants to escape." Her eyebrows furrowed. "I saw you running towards the forest."

"That's not true." She had been waiting for the sun to come out. He couldn't have been following her.

He smiled, clearly impressed. "I was trying to make my way into town. Just like you." He nodded in her direction.

They reached the grounds and headed towards the Little Palace, spending their time in seclusion. He stopped walking and so did she. "Give me your bag," he said, hurriedly. "They'll think I'm coming back."

Two guards were approaching them and Adaline was trying to avoid eye contact with them. Had they already found out? "Why?"

"Trust me." His smile seemed to say it all because she dropped the bag on the floor for him to pick it up.

He continued walking as if he owned the place and nodded at the guards, who gave him a way to continue walking without any disturbance. Adaline's eyebrows furrowed once again. "Who are you?" She asked him.

He looked at her and walked faster. "You'll see."

They reached the courtyard of the Little Palace and when she started to make her way into the castle, he stood where he was. "Where are you going?" He asked her.

"Inside. Where else?"

"Oh right," he said, sounding a little disappointed. He ran towards her and handed her the bag. "Here. Nice and safe." He patted the bag twice.

"Who are you?" She whispered again but he simply smiled.

"I'll see you around." He started walking in the direction of the Grand Palace. He seemed to hop and make his way very happily. She heard him whistle an old Ravkan lullaby and found herself glued to the steps of the palace. Who was he?

"Adaline!" She heard Carolyn's voice, who walked out in her red kefta, breaking her gaze. "What are you doing here?" She eyed her bag and then looked at her with worry. "You didn't-"

"I have to go get ready for my lessons!" She said, hurriedly.

"But Adaline-"

"I'm sorry. This is all too much for me and I didn't have a choice. Please don't tell anyone."

Carolyn was calculating. She didn't know Adaline but in the one month that they did, she seemed to really like her attitude. But she had a truth that she was hiding too, and escaping was a dream that she knew all too well. "I won't. But don't try it again."