Chapter 17

"Thank you, Mr..."

"Ackerman." I responded after helping (Y/N) put on her harness.

She waved, and ran happily back over to her friends. I slowly followed behind since I needed to instruct her friends with Erwin and Hange.

She ran to one specific person, and he smiled down at her.

'Must be Arlert. It's nice to know they found one another in this life.'

~(I believe) s3 episode 17 spoilers~

I thought I should have let the kid die. Arlert, with a dream of seeing the ocean, or Erwin, with a dream of seeing if humanity existed outside the walls.

I feel sort of guilty for having chose that brat's life over one of my closest comrades, but his dream was nearing an end. After all, how could I force him to come back as a titan after he promised to go down with hundreds of young recruits?

That would be beyond greedy.

It would have been easier than seeing Arlert have a breakdown after the letter I had to give him from (Y/N), though. Leagues better.

The look on his face still gives me nightmares in this new life, and I remember every detail of it.

His big eyes once shining with curiosity went dull, but opened wide. He went considerably pale, like the life had just been sucked out of him. He stared down at the paper in complete utter horror, but didn't move.

The other cadets from the 104th were saddened as well, they couldn't believe she had gone out the way she did. They cried for days on end, and Eren was enraged.

Though..None had the look Arlert did. Completely broken hearted, the look of someone who had lost it all.

I've been there too.

Farlan and Isabel. But I'm not so lucky.

They weren't reborn into this life.

Your POV:

"Is it just me, or is Ackerman looking at us funny...?" Armin said in a hushed tone to me, but looked past me. I turned and Mr. Ackerman was indeed looking at us. He looked sad though.

I shrugged it off, grabbing Armin's hand and taking him a few feet away and to Mikasa and Eren. Mikasa glanced down at our hands and winked, making me roll my eyes. We had put on our gas tanks and I was filled to the brim with adrenaline.

"Okay, this marks the first day of this club for us all! I hope you're prepared." Mr. Smith smiled down at us and stepped forward.

"Kirstein, you will be the first one to go show off the balancing."

'Oh, right. Wasn't Jean the best of us with this stuff in our trainee days? Wait. How do I know that?' I had confused myself. 'Probably a false memory from one of those dreams...'

Once we all nailed the balance, no help from Jean as he kept on bragging, we were allowed to fly using the fake trees.

"This is gonna be so fun!" Sasha jumped in place and so did Connie. "Yahoo! Yahoo!"

As the two laughed and cheered they were joined by Historia, Onyankopon, and Marco.

"Alright brats, enough chit-chat. Get to flying."

Jean ran person to person, telling them each something. Then he came up to Armin, Eren, Mikasa, and I.

"We're racing to the end! Last one there's a rotten egg."

"3...2...1..." Levi counted down as we lined up. "GO!"

It was hard to get the hang of at first but I eventually got it and swung from tree to tree with ease.