Chapter 22

After eight long hours of driving, we arrived in Tuscany. A tiny village, tiny mountain passes, and cute little houses surrounded our domain. Did I say our domain, no Michael's domain. He bought this house to relax from work once in a while. I'm wondering if he brought women to this place.

Michael settled our bags into the entrance after I had insisted on helping him. With ignorance, he just placed me aside and took everything out of his trunk. I growled at him, of course. But nothing can change his mind when he's up to something. He's treating me like a princess and I hate it.

Back in the days, I loved his soft side, and now I'm not sure if it's all true. It's not that I don't believe him, but I still have a hard time trusting him. He's the only one that can keep me safe from his father, and that's the only reason I'm staying with him, too close for my liking. The bastard always taking advantage of my personal space, like he always wants to be close with me.

"You still think too much, Sofia." I hear his voice from afar. I look around the room to find him already on the stairs with my luggage in his hand. "What's wrong about that?" I ask him boldly. "That's why you'll never find some peace. No matter how hard or difficult it is for you at the moment, you'll have to let things go once in a while or you're going insane." He explains while walking up the stairs.

I pursued him, too curious to not follow him through his house. He decorated this house into something different from what I imagined. They painted the walls in a soft beige color, the dark wooden floor crack with each step I took. My head spins from right to left by the romantic old furniture that stands in the hallway. Michael opens the third door on his left, leaving it open for me to enter.

A massive bed stood in the room, and I was facing a large window with a perfect view of Michael's domain. Mesmerized by its beauty, I saunter to the window. My eyes found the small river instantly, four ducklings and their mom taking a bath. My eyes roam the entire view, also finding a willow tree and an olive tree. Fresh flowers and herbs surrounding the house, making it even more adorable. The sky a perfect blue color with its white clouds. What a sight...

"This is amazing.." I gushed with my mouth open. "Do you want to know the story behind it?" Michaels asks, and I hear his footsteps draw closer. I turn myself to face him and nod, taking my arms in an embrace.

"An old man bought this house for his wife where they lived for many years until his wife became sick and the poor man couldn't pay for her treatment. The only way to pay the hospital bills and to buy a small apartment in the city for him and his wife, they had to sell their home and hope for the best. This house has cost a fortune, I can tell you that, but it wasn't worth a lot when I saw it for sale. So I called for a meeting and when I found out why the man had to sell their home, I gave them double the asking price. You can say I helped the man, but in the back of my mind, I bought it for you because their love reminded me of us. An Italian top designer made this place a welcoming, romantic spot to come to your senses. A place where I always want to come, because I know this can be our place one day. Our safe heaven...A place where our love can only grow stronger...A place where we can be happy."

He stares into my eyes, his expression serious. For a moment, it's just the two of us. The things he has said made me weak and fragile. All of this, he bought for me? For us? I swallow and avert my eyes for a few seconds. "I don't know what to say..." I murmur."You don't have to say anything. I only wanted to share this with you." He says calmly before leaving me alone in the room.

With my mind full of questions, I return to the entrance of the house, still determined to help him with everything. The least I can do is to help him out. Michael has earned my respect these past days because he kept his word. I can see he has a hard time keeping his distance from me and still he acts like a gentleman almost the entire time. But still, he has his arrogant moments, of course. Can I blame him? I can be a bitch as well from time to time. I think that only makes us more human.

I don't need to be perfect for him, nor does he. I'm more than happy when he behaves himself as the person he is because then you can see the true colors of a person. But with Michael, I haven't seen anything terrible. That moment in the club with Genevieve was a painful moment when I saw them kissing. Now I know that, but then I was too raged by the sight it almost had blinded my actions that evolved by my weak moment.

Michael walks beside me with his suitcase in hand. "Can I help you with something else?" I ask him, friendly. "No, it's fine." He smiles at me, proceeding with his plans. I sigh and follow him, curious about where he's going to sleep. Michael walks inside the room where we were before and I stop for a moment.

I continue and saunter into the room. "Michael, are we sleeping in the same bed?" I ask him, knowing what the outcome will be because it's as clear as day. "Yes, the guest room isn't ready yet, and in the other room stands a desk for me to work on. I hope you don't mind." He says innocently with a small smile. "Nevermind, it's fine. We are adults now. I'm sure you can behave yourself." I reply quickly, not sure I had to say that last part to him. Maybe he'll see it as a challenge.

"I can behave myself very well, can you?" He joked and bit his lip in an attempt to keep his smile from splitting his face in two. I roll with my eyes and grin at him. Of course, he's teasing me. I think it has become his new purpose in life. The harder you tease the woman, the more chance you'll get to conquer her heart again. He makes me succumb to him again. The light conversations, the playful tension between us is heartwarming and just what I needed now to ease my internal tension.

So far, the bond between us is going quite well as I expected secretly. But I have to do something about the sexual tension between us. We're still flirting and where is this going to end? It's nice and all, but I'm not ready yet and I'm sure he knows my doubts about us. Can he blame me for protecting my weak, soft heart? I've become vulnerable again within his presence, and it makes me careful and attentive to the slightest movement of his face.

"What I would give to look in your head for one day," Michael says softly, an amused smile on his face. "Unfortunately, that's private and you'll never know," I answer devilishly. "I'm going to make something to eat because it's turning late. You must be tired." Michael says. "Yeah, a little," I answer. "Is it okay I'll help you with dinner?" I ask him quickly. "The answer to that is no. Unpack your things and when you're ready, I meet you downstairs." He instructs me dominantly.

"Michael, not again! I'm not a child. Why don't you let me help you? It's the least I can do considering all the trouble you've had the past seven years." I explain to him without thinking clearly. "I'm well aware you are not a child anymore, Sofia. But that doesn't mean I've changed. You're my guest and I need you to be comfortable. Maybe I'll let you help me tomorrow if you're a good girl and listen to me now." He orders me seriously.

I stick my tongue out when he turns his back to me. "And about the seven years, it was my burden to carry, not yours. I would have made the same choices over and over to get a chance with you in the future." Michael admits honestly before leaving the room, already taking the warmth out of the room with him.

I know he stands behind his decisions, but can I give him what he desires the most?