Chapter 44 - Adjusting

The rest of Loki's first day back at the tower went...about as smoothly as could be expected. 

Loki remained glued to your side, and largely kept his distance from the others. Yet he never missed an opportunity to cast snide glances their way each time you passed another Avenger in the hall, or ran into someone on the elevator. Eventually you took him to your room, exasperated with his latest stunt. You're pretty sure you are going to be apologizing to Bruce for at least a week for how badly Loki had startled him. 

"Are you serious?"

"Very rarely, darling."

"I mean, did you really need to do that?"

"Do what?"

"That! What you just did to Banner!"

"I have no heavenly idea what you're talking about."

"Lurking around corners to try and scare him green isn't okay."

"Come now, my sweet. Would I ever do such a thing? It cannot be my fault that he did not notice me there."

"Just...don't do it, okay? The two of you don't get along anyway."

Finally safe behind your bedroom door, you had expected Loki to make some sort of salacious proposal on how to spend your evening together. But instead, Loki had simply kissed your cheek and wandered to the couch, settling into a book he pulled from the coffee table - the first time you had seen him read something other than Shakespeare since his arrival. As he read, you worked to catch up on tasks you had been neglecting the past weeks. Including laundry, changing the sheets, and using JARVIS to set up a new training schedule for you and Steve. 

Loki remained silent the entire time. Not necessarily watching, but rather, simply being.

Occasionally he reached out a hand as you passed by, pulling you in for a quick kiss before releasing you to return to your chores as he dropped his nose back in his book. But other than that, he let you be. You found yourself appreciating his silent presence, intrigued by the pleasant domesticity of it all. 

In some ways, it felt like he never left. That none of the drama from the past weeks ever happened at all. 

It was a little unsettling.

When it came time for bed, Loki turned the book over on its spine to save his place. All while grumbling about the lack of proper book marks. 

"The spines are fragile, my love. You cannot simply leave a book overturned." 

"It'll be fine until tomorrow."

"Will it?"

"Yes. But if you're worried about it just dog-ear the page."

"How dare you suggest such a thing, darling."

"Well, then, I can't help you."

Loki had eventually settled on pulling a pair of panties from your drawer - the smallest, laciest ones you own - and sliding it through the pages with a smirk. You rolled your eyes, but let him have his fun. 

Sleep came easily that first night back - both of you exhausted from the past weeks. 

Now, the glass panes in your windows rattle ever so lightly as the wind outside picks up, and the dark glow of morning turns lighter. You wake to arms around your waist, and fingers dancing up the bare skin of your side where your tank top has drifted up. A shiver runs down your spine at the feather-light touch. And as you crack your eyes, you find green ones staring back through thick, dark lashes that sit upon pale, porcelain cheeks.