🌞Chapter 27🌻

🌞🌻

When Gulf woke up, the room was dark. He saw Mew standing in a slanting shaft of moonlight streaming in through a large window in the shape of a half-moon. The moonlight washed over his naked body, making it shimmer. To Gulf, he looked like a king blessed by the gods.

Mew turned to look at him. "You're awake."

Gulf sat up in the bed, gazing back at Mew.

"No one but the king is allowed in here, but we've slept in his bed," Mew confessed. "I will surely be punished."

Gulf would share Mew's punishment then. No, Gulf's crime was even greater. He had acted like he didn't want to do it, but in his heart he had hungered for more.

"How do you think God will punish us?" Mew asked.

He came closer, languidly running a hand through his lover's hair. He wrapped his arm around Gulf's shoulders as he sat on the bed and drew Gulf towards him.

"I guess we won't be reborn as human beings in our next life," Gulf replied.

Mew broke into a smile at the cavalier tone. "And what would we be instead?"

"You could be a horse and maybe, I would be a bird," was the reply.

Mew chuckled. "If you were a bird, you could fly off into the sky and I wouldn't be able to catch you."

Gulf tried to laugh with him, but the truth was there was nothing funny about it.

'It might be better that way,' he thought. If everything was going to just end up the same all over again, it would be better not to get mixed up with each other at the first place.

Mew lay down on the bed, still holding Gulf.

"We've already committed our sins," he said. "If I were a devoted citizen of Madina, I would have labored all my life for the country. But I've never been a true citizen ln this country, I've always felt out of place, like a foreigner."

Gulf glimpsed at Mew's solitude in the serenity of his voice.

The man was part of the royal family, but the only one who had inherited foreign blood. No one could fathom his isolation. How had he managed to bury his grief when his mother died so early, while he was still a child? Had anyone helped him?

The room grew silent again, so silent that they could hear each other breathing. The stillness of the night gave the illusion that no one but Mew and Gulf existed in the entire world. Just the two of them in the king's chambers, shrouded by the night.

Twinkling in the moonlight, the jewels of the king's canopy became stars in the night sky. For the first time since coming to Madina, Gulf felt strangely at peace, despite his guilt.

"I'm proud of Madina and I love it" Mew continued. "But that's not the same feeling like I belong here."

His voice was peaceful too. Straining to hear the rhythmic of Mew's heart, feeling the man's fingers gently stroking his hair, Gulf earnestly prayed that they could disappear somewhere and stay like this forever. Somewhere where no one would bother them. Just the two of them.

TBC