10

R E Y N A

There was nothing I could do to stop the constant thumping of my heart that danced to the drums of my ears

There was nothing I could do to stop the constant thumping of my heart that danced to the drums of my ears. From the evil smirk on his pink lips to the glint in his beautiful devilish eyes, I was frozen in place.

He twirled my panties around his finger like it was a toy being used to taunt me. I watched him cautiously, but deep down I knew that there was nothing I could do. There was nowhere to run, and nobody I could turn to. All I had was Santino Venturi, a man who should be the last person anyone counts on.

With a leisure pace, he took a few steps toward me until he was directly in front of my face. My eyes widened as I craned my neck up to gaze into his. With intense eye contact, I was paralyzed. My body had this strange response to Saint that I just couldn't understand. Every bit of logic in my mind told me he was dangerous, but it seemed like deep down I wanted to know just how dangerous he was.

"I, um, I," I began nervously as I pulled my bottom lip in between my teeth. He followed the movement with his gaze, the smirk on his face never faltering. Saint

"You, um, what? What do you want?" He leered. I took the time to inhale the smell of mint on his breath, grateful for the absence of alcohol. I didn't know him well, and I knew his well-being shouldn't have any matter to me, but the worry was like a shadow in my mind. It was there behind every corner, every question, every thought.

I took a deep breath, releasing all the tension and nerves poking at me. "Um, when are we going to begin? The faster I find my mother and get out of this mess, the better."

Those weren't the words I wanted to tell him. I needed to know how he found me so I could find some way to fix it before the other mafia's find that same opening. My life was in danger, but I wasn't sure I wanted Saint to know that.

"When I say so," he concluded. "Is that all?"

"I guess it is," I replied before looking at my pair of panties in his grasp. "C-Can I please have those back?"

His left brow rose. If he didn't stop looking at me so threateningly, I was sure I would pass out. Every time I looked at him, all of the videos and pictures of his victims would begin to play out in my mind. Every time he touched me, I could just feel the blood of all the people he killed with those very hands. I witnessed the way he becomes a monster when provoked, and I'd be a liar to say I wasn't frightened beyond capacity.

"No," he answered. I nodded my head in acceptance. He saw me as weak and a nuisance that he needed to keep around for his very benefit.

"I'm not..." I whispered before rolling my shoulders back to stand a bit straighter. Clearing my throat, I allowed my voice to rise, "weak. I'm not weak."

"Then come take these from me," he announced, holding my panties up. I glared at the red lace of my underwear before my gaze shifted over to Saint. My hands were itching to just reach out and grab it, but I forced my body to stay put.