Chapter 19

Blake was still laughing from my previous comment, when we both jumped in surprise from the screaming.

"Lexi! GET OVER HERE," I heard Alex yell.

I was on my feet the same second and ran to him, because that was his something's wrong voice.

I ran from the trail and then up to where everyone seemed to be gathered.

My eyes feel on Alex and I caught with him.

"What's wrong?" I asked and Alex pointed to someone sitting on the picnic table.

"Jimmy-Dummy here tried to do a Can Can, but didn't bring his leg back in time so he fell like an idiot and now he's got a deep cut from the rocks."

"Get me the first-aid kit," I answered and ran to the idiot.

The reason why Alex called me was kinda silly. For as long as I could remember, every time someone got hurt, whether it was during recess in elementary school, or here during one of our many trips, every time, it was like a reflex. I would run to go help. There was no specific reason for it, maybe I had a calling for taking care of the sick. Or maybe I just like blood.

Who could know?

"I'm fine, alright! Doesn't even hurt that much," Jimmy was telling everyone gathered around him, still wearing his helmet, the left side of his pants torn and bloody, as was his left arm.

I hastily twisted my still-a-little-damp-from-swimming hair into a bun and stood in front of him.

"Yeah! Nurse Lexi's here," Jimmy said, trying to sound teasing, but I could hear the strain in his voice. He was in pain.

"Call me like that again and I'll pour lemon juice on your cut," I told him and then Alex was there and he gave me the first-aid kit and two bottle of water, to clean the cuts.

There was a lot of dirt in the wounds, but they weren't as deep as Alex had led me to believe. There was a lot of blood too, but it was all mostly dried by now.

"You really should have been more careful. Getting hurt defeats the point of showing off," I told him while pouring water on his wound to clean it.

Everyone had left by then, seeing they were of no use anymore.

"Hey, accidents happen to everyone," Jimmy said and flinched a little.

"Yeah, but the accident could have been avoided if you hadn't tried to show off."

"Look, everyone was doing tricks, so I did, and no I don't need to hear, if everyone jumped off a cliff would you follow."

"You're an idiot," I said shaking my head "Take off your pants."

"What?" Jimmy asked startled.

"Take off your pants," I motioned to them, "I can't clean your cuts and bandage anything with your pants on."

"That ought to make Connor jealous," Jimmy mumbled, while squiggling out of them, leaving him in the shorts he wore when he was swimming.

"Why is everything always about Connor with you? What's wrong with you two? Not everything is a competition."

"You're right, sometimes it's a battle! You gotta fight to get what you want," he told me with a grin.

I frowned. "What the hell does that mean?"

"That means... look Lexi, there's something I've wanted to tell you for a while now. I," Jimmy started to say but I stopped him with my hand.

"Jimmy, whatever this is, I don't want to hear it," I whispered, not able to look at him in the eyes.