⚜ Chapter Thirty-Five: Find ⚜

<< Where do you find the courage to move on? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Calm down, take a breath. You were expecting this to happen.

[Name] inhaled and exhaled, lying in her freshly changed bed as she wracked her head. Subconsciously, she grasped at her neck, only to realize that her necklace was gone again and again. She puffed at her hair.

Not now, she scolded herself. You have to come up with a plan. It doesn't matter if this is the worst-case scenario.

You prepared for this. Stop pitying yourself.

Her fingers curled around the sheets. We need to go over what we already have.

Isaac and Zazie are on the bottommost floor, along with the premium children. The ones born here are with me and Norman. Vincent takes his tests from 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM, so that is when he'll be out of his room. I take my tests from 10:30 to 11:00, so it's a pretty good shot to say that Norman takes his tests from 9:30 to 10:00.

Other than Norman, Vincent, and I, the kids here are tested for speed and strength. The drugs shorten our lifespans and cause lethal seizures. The only cure is our medication.

The scientists look down on us experiments because we're meant to be food. It's probably a safe bet that the demons are the same. But there are three uncertainties that I still need to take care of.

First is Sidra. She's crazy, but she doesn't have any obvious weaknesses other than being impulsive and prideful. I need to get to know her better than just getting electrocuted. Although, she's very suspicious of me right now, so I don't know how I'll be able to get to that. My memories shouldn't be of any use to that.

Next are the demons. I know nothing about them, other than they need to eat humans for some reason, and the quality of our brains is a problem. Even if our brains just tasted good, why would it be a problem if our quality went down? There's something I'm not getting here.

Finally, the outside. Norman said he has that covered, but we still need a plan.

[Name] flicked her eyes over to the clock. It was still late, so she had to go to sleep now. But there was one problem.

For the last few months or so, she'd been using her music box to block out her dreams. She hated that place. Heaving a sigh, [Name] pulled the covers over her.

I have to do this, she told herself. If I want to get out of here, I have to go into those dreams.

Leuvis's smiling face, grinning and bearing his teeth like a deranged clown, flashed in his head.

It's okay, if I don't think about him, he won't appear, [Name] assured. I can do this. I...

I have to.

She squeezed her eyes shut and slowed her breathing, but her fist remained clamped around the sheets even as she fell asleep.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

It was the first time [Name] had ever seen the void outside of her machines. The place certainly earned the name, for it seemed to have no limit in where it was. She wasn't even sure she was standing, it felt more like she was floating, if anything.

What do I do? Do I just ask for what I need?

"Hello?" she called, wincing as her voice echoed around the space. "Is anyone there?"