42. sunshine to badass

When we left the church in Shallow Valley almost a week ago, I never expected to be voluntarily returning while it was still under McCreary's control. But sometimes you needed to do whatever necessary to save those you loved.

"Are you both clear on the plan?" I whispered as Raven, Shaw and I hovered in the tree line, watching the church where we were sure Madi was being held. Once quick glance through the church window with the monocular confirmed our suspicions. 

We had watched the camp for a couple of hours, trying to learn the patterns of the guards and scout the area for any immediate roadblocks to our plan.

"Yeah." Raven muttered from next to me. "But what if Clarke's there? There's no way she'll let us take Madi."

I pulled the pistol out of my waistband. "Then I'll shoot her."

Raven's face paled slightly as she shook her head. "You're not going to shoot Clarke."

I wore a blank expression as I shrugged. "I'll do what needs to be done. A bullet to the arm isn't the end of the world."

"And the Sunshine becomes a badass." Raven smirked, finally coming to terms with my plan. 

I rolled my eyes at Bellamy's stupid nickname for me that he had given on our of our first days down here. 

Looking back toward the church, I nodded the two of them to follow. "Let's do this."

We crept as quietly into the church as we did that night when we left. Barely a sound could be heard as the three of us hurried inside, instantly scanning the room to ensure there were no threats. 

Luckily, there were none, but only a sleeping girl on one of the cots. 

I lifted a shaky finger to my lips as we crept toward her, careful to not startle her and cause a commotion. 

Once we were close enough, I bent down next to her cot. Madi's eyes danced beneath her lids, clearly alluding to the fact that she was in the middle of some kind of intense dream. 

Carefully, my hand reached out and clamped a hand over her mouth. 

Madi's eyes shot open as she let out a muffled gasp behind my hand. She looked between Raven, Shaw and I with wide eyes. After a moment, they calmed slightly, as if she recognized us. 

"You're Madi?" I confirmed quietly, still not removing my hand. 

She gave a small nod, and I quickly pulled my hand away. "We're not here to hurt you." I assured, not wanting to scare her away.

"I know why you're here." Madi declared. "You think Wonkru will follow me into that gorge."

Raven and I shared a surprised look. This girl was much more intuitive than could be expected for a 12 year old...guess that's what being the True Commander does to a person. 

Madi registered our shocked looks, and looked between the two of us in expectation. "What are you waiting for?" she questioned as if it were obvious. "Take off the collar before Clarke gets back." 

A sly grin came to Raven's face as she stood up, moving so she could access the control panel. "Safe to say she's not up for mother of the year."

I let out a small laugh as I moved so I was in front of Madi, hopefully shielding her incase someone walked in. 

"Light." Raven ordered, successfully popping off the panel. 

I clicked on the flashlight, giving Madi a small smile as she looked between Raven and I. "You know, it's nice to finally meet you two." she muttered. "You're both kind of awesome."