Chapter 10

Elmer froze, dark eyes widening. "Don't move!" Callaway hissed. Albert and Jack were outside and I noticed Patrick suck in a sharp breath. Both boys outside disappeared, reappearing behind the counter. Must have found the secret entrance, I told myself. "If you move, she'll be dead before you can blink."

Elmer's POV:

"Don't move!" The man from the bridge hissed, holding a gun to Katie's head. Her face grew pale and I noticed Albert and Jack sneak behind the counter where Patrick was. I figured they had a plan. The man spoke again, if you move, she'll be dead before you can blink!" Katie slammed her eyes shut, hugging herself.

Jack moved forward slowly, making no noise. Before the crazy old guy knew it, Jack had a hold of his arms and the gun pointed at the white-haired man's back. Albert jumped up, shoving Katie towards me and taking a rope he had found. The blonde girl stumbled forward; I grabbed her arm, pulling her toward me and picking up one of the larger pieces of glass.

"Doctor Callaway?" A woman asked, standing in the doorway with a man behind her.

"Momma, Dad!" Katie yelled, engulfing the adults in a hug.

"The hell is happening?" The father asked, shoving bother girls behind him.

"I was checking on your children when these street-rats ambushed me," Callaway lied.

"That ain't how it happened!" I protested, running forward only to be thrown back by the father.

"Dad!" Katie yelled.

"Sir, please stop," Jack pleaded.

"You and your Newsboy scum are no longer allowed near my daughter or this bakery again," the father hissed.

"Dad, no!" Katie yelped, trying to shove past her mother.

"Katie, they attacked your doctor," the woman reasoned.

"No they didn't!" The blonde girl yelled again.

"I think the cancer is messing with your ability to be reasonable, darling," the mother sighed.

"Get out!" The man in front of me yelled. I glanced at Katie then to Jack and Albert. Both my friends nodded and we made our way out. Jack earned a slap across the face from Callaway. I set my jaw, running all the way back to the Lodging House with the others.

Hours Later:

"I's gonna show him he's messin' with the wrong Newsies. We needs ta make Callaway pay for his crap and make Katie's parents see they're wrong," I grumbled. I was pacing now and have been for hours.

"What're we gonna do?" Albert asked.

"I dunno, but we need to figure it out fast," Jack stated.

"Jackie, there's a problem," Davey sighed, walking in with Les in tow.

"What is it?" We all asked in unison.

"Katie's bakery is on fire and she's not outside with her parents," Davey explained. Jack basically threw himself into the hallway and rushed out, Mush, Race and I close behind. Sure enough, flames engulfed the building.

"Where's Katie?" I asked, ripping my hat off my head, eyes searching frantically.

"She isn't out here," her father hissed, face showing he was worried.

"I'll get her," I decided, handing my hat to Jack and running in. I coughed immediately, smoke filling my lungs. Still, I pushed through, shielding my eyes and making my way upstairs. The whole building seemingly groaned, so I picked up the pace. I ended up finding Katie lying unconscious on the floor of her room, flames licking at her bed before entirely taking it over. I checked for a pulse before carrying her out.

As soon as we were out, my vision wavered and I toppled over, vision fading to black.

Next Morning:

I rubbed my eyes, finding whitewashed walls and a heartrate monitor by the bed I was in. Jack and the others were next to me while Katie was across the room in her own bed. "What happened?" I rasped, vaguely recalling the events of yesterday.

"Ya got Katie outta the fire. Building fell after you blacked out," Jack explained.

Race punched my arm, "you's an idiot! But ya saved yer goil, so I guess it's fine since you's both fine."

I chuckled, "she ain't my goil."

"Sooo, Romeo can have her?" Mush joked.

"Aw hell no," I growled, crossing my arms.

He held his hands up in defense, "alright."

"Crap!" A femenine voice yelled from the other side of the room. All heads turned seeing Katie wide-eyed and sitting up in her bed. The boys shuffled over to her, each giving her a small kiss on the forehead. I promptly threw a book at them, bouncing it off Race and hitting Jack.

"I couldn't do that again if I tried," I laughed.

"Nope!" Katie agreed, smiling wide.

Three Weeks Later:

I draped my arm over Katie's shoulder, adjusting my cap with my free hand and leading her into the Lodging House. "I wanna play Twister!" Race announced, placing little cutouts on the floor.

"OoO!" Katie yelped, running to help.

(A/N: The game Twister was invented in 1966. I just felt like it would be interesting. DEFINITELY gonna be interesting to write. Haha. Feedback is welcome.)

"Okay, ready?" Jack asked, clasping his hands together.

"Yes!" Katie was now bouncing up and down, clapping and smiling.

Jack's POV:

Katie was jumping up and down excitedly, smiling as wide as she usually does with Elmer. For the first time in a while, she didn't look extremely tired. Elmer laughed, eyes shining with affection for the small girl. Truth is, we all love her like a little sister. Elmer's feelings run deeper. Every night, he's always talking about her, mood entirely different than when he's selling.

I have to be honest, it's nice seeing these two so happy. God probably brought them together, knowing they both needed the other to help them with whatever they're going through. For Katie, I fear she's not healthy, I don't think she's telling us everything and Elmer seems to know what it is. I don't ask him about it because I want him to have this, I want him to finally know something the rest of us don't.