Chapter Eight

J A K E
• • •

        "What the hell are you wearing?" Ashton asked when he saw me walk out of my room. I sighed and paused, looking over at him on the couch.

"Clothes, would you rather me walk around naked?" I replied sarcastically.

"Are you going somewhere special?" He grinned, and I grunted. I was only wearing a button up and jeans. It was legitimately nothing fancy.

"I'm just heading over to the fair with a friend," I shrugged, and his eyebrows rose.

"Oh? Does my wittle brother have a wittle date?" He smiled, and I rolled my eyes.

"You and Layla are too alike, it's ridiculous. This conversation is over. Bye, I'll be back in a few hours," I grabbed my keys and started for the door.

"Don't make Gracie a cousin," he fake-warned, and I sarcastically laughed before reaching for the handle, but reluctantly paused and looked back over at him.

"Uh, so hypothetically," I started, and he shot me a smug smile at the presumed advice I was about to ask him for. It almost made me walk out the door right then and there, but instead I said, "purely hypothetically speaking, completely made up situation, but if you were picking up a girl, would you walk up to the door or call her when you got to her house?" Before he could answer, Crystal chimed in, walking down the small staircase.

"I wouldn't ask for dating advice from him. His methods include walking into people, spilling drinks on their white shirts, and then acting like he hates them," she mused, passing me and joining Ashton on the couch, who rolled his eyes but wrapped his arms around her anyway when she sat on him.

"You walked into me, and I wasn't acting," he corrected, but she simply ruffled his hair in response.

"Okay, before I have to listen to this argument for the thousandth time, could one of you just tell me if I should go to her door or not?" I asked, and Crystal looked back over at me.

"Is it a date-date? Like how official is this?" She questioned.

"I don't really know," I admitted, and she rolled her eyes in Ashton's direction.

"You and your damn lack of relationship skills rubbed off on Jake," she scolded him.

"I landed you, did I not?" He defended himself.

"Yes, well, that's because I'm amazing. We can't count on this poor girl to be as amazing as me," she ruffled his hair again, but he grabbed her hand and brought it away from him with a little glare. She chuckled and said back up to me, "I'd go to the door, unless she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would like that."

"Alright then," I scrunched my brows a little, "thanks, I guess?" I opened the door, and they started teasing me again before I shut it behind me.

Right as I got in the car and backed out, I got a call from Connor.

"What's up?" I picked up.

"Hey I- wait why are you in such a good mood?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh my fucking- WHY does everyone always ask me that?" I switched the car back out of reverse and started driving.

"Well, it appears I've ruined the good mood.. anyway are you going to the fair? I kinda forgot to plan a ride and I need one, so," he said, and I cringed when I almost hit a curb. Almost.

"Sorry little dude, my services aren't available at the moment," I replied, and he grunted. "Why don't you ask whoever you're meeting up with for a ride?" I suggested, but when he hesitated, I felt myself grin.