Chapter 3

It's been a week since I've started, everyone seems really nice here it's almost unreal. Not like my old school at all, I wasn't exactly bullied but they weren't nice and kinda spiteful, no one really spoke to me.

It's Monday again and I'm on my way to Maths when I realise I forgot my Maths book. I head to my locker and when I open it I see a little heart shaped pink post-it-note stuck on the inside of my locker door, I smile with surprise as I read it:

Dear Casey,
You're so beautiful I can hardly believe it.
Your smile lights up the room and your laugh brightens my day.
Love D. K
XXX

"Aww" I say out loud, it's cute, I don't know how it got there, someone must have the code to my locker. It's a little concerning I guess but the only things I keep in my locker are my books and P.E kit so I don't really care. I mean, if someone wants to do my homework for me they're welcome to.

D.K, is that someone's Initials? I don't think I've spoken to anyone with those Initials but then again, I don't know everyone yet and I can barely remember their first names let alone their last. I shrug it off, grab my book and head to class. I'll probably find out eventually.

After Maths I head to Science, I hand in my homework at the start of class.

Normally, as we do our set work, reading through a text book, answering its questions or doing a work booklet Mr Kyle made, Mr Kyle goes through our homework and marks it in class.

My eyes getting tired of the text on the paper, I look up and around the classroom to see Mr Kyle already staring at me, he quickly looks down to continue marking our work.

After 20 minutes or so he goes through the answers to the questions in the booklet and explains it fully.

He clearly knows what he's talking about because he doesn't even look in the book for answers, he gets us to tell him the question and what we answered and he will answer it fully telling us if it was right or wrong.

"Casey, question 6?" He looks at me.

Shit really, why me? I hate being called on, even if I know the answer, it still makes me shit myself.

"Um... question 6 was a-a PH scale that we had to put the 5 different listed things in order, ranging from acidic, neutral to alkaline". I said looking at my work not daring to look up, shaking a little from anxiety.

"Okay, so what was the examples they gave you and where did you put them?" he asks in a monotone voice that refuses to change no matter the circumstance.

"I put tomato juice at PH 2, gastric juices at 4, pure water at 7, hand soap at 10 and bleach at 12" I said starting to calm down. He looks at me for a moment and I know I got something wrong.

"Miss Nickels do you know what gastric juices are?"

"Umm...-" before I can answer he cuts me off.

"Gastric juices is stomach acid, it is used to break down the food we eat. Do you think it's closer to pure water than tomato juice?" He asks but doesn't give me time to think "tomatoes, are 95% water. So, no it isn't. The correct order is gastric juices then tomato juice. Other than that you were correct" he then turns around and continues on and I correct my work.

Tomatoes are 95% water? When in life is that useful information to have? How and why does he know that?

The bell goes and everyone leaves, I gather my things and get up to leave. "Miss Nickels can I speak to you for a moment?" I nod and walk over to him. He sits on the edge of his desk and picks up a piece of paper. "Your homework" he says looking at the paper "you got 9 out of 15 questions correct" he says and I ramble a series of cusses in my head.