CHAPTER 5 | IS IT RIGHT?

The next day when Ian walked inside the classroom, he noticed that his seat partner had not arrived yet. He frowned.

Is he on leave again?

Ian actually had no interest in other people's life, but he couldn't understand why June would take so many days off.

They were in twelve grade and it is a very important year for them, after all they will be taking their board examination which will determine the college they can go to but from the way June skips classes, Ian wasn't sure if he will be able to learn anything in class and get a good result.

Ian settled on his seat and eyed the part of his table and looked up at the teacher's table. The class monitor was arranging some books.

Ian pressed his lips in a thin line, his hands were suddenly clammy at the sudden thought he had.

Should he ask what is wrong with his seat partner?

It's not the first time June was on leave but it was the first time Ian showed concern for his absence, after all June was all Euphel wanted to talk about over dinner, yesterday.

Although some part of him didn't want to acknowledge it but Ian had somewhat got used to June calling his name loudly and greeting him “Good morning," everyday. Although, Ian would just glare at June.

Ian hesitated, as he rubbed his clammy hands over his thighs, he don't really talk with a person first, they usually come to him.

Before, he would change his mind, he fished out his notebook which he had to submit and abruptly stood up from his chair then walked towards the teacher's table. As he got near, the class monitor raised his head from the books and gave Ian a surprise look.

"Oh, hi,” he said.

Ian  did not remembered the class monitor's name but he still spoke, "Erm, hi. I came to give my homework," he then trusted the book to him.

The class monitor took his book and placed it on the pile, Ian  stood there practicing his lines mentally.

The class monitor looked around the class, "Guys! Come on, hand over your books! I have to take it to the staff room now!" He announced.

"Cap! Five minutes!" A girl frantically shouted.

"Just a few minutes!" A boy furiously shouted and let out a frustrated scream, "Why do teacher give us so many homework?"

The class monitor rolled his eye but noticed Ian  was still there, he raised his eyebrow, "Can...I help you?" He asked.

Ian  nodded, "Yeah, I...", he trailed off, what was his seat partner's name again? Even though, he and Euphel talked about him during dinner, Ian  realised, he doesn't remember his name anymore.

It started with J and was a name of a month? Maybe. January?

Finally, Ian opened his now dry mouth, a part of him surprised and grateful the class monitor was still waiting for him to talk, "I was wondering why my desk mate is always on leave? Is...something wrong with him?"

The class monitor's eyes flickered towards, their seat, "Oh yeah, June Weng has some health issue so he  needs to frequent the hospital."

"I-I see", Ian  mumbled, so his name was June Weng,"Is it serious?", He asked.

The boy shrugged, "He doesn't like to talk about his health much so, I don't really know but from the look of things it must a little bit serious."