Guard of the Underworld

Kara kept her eyes focused on the black gates looming in front of her. Alex's glare was burning a hole in the back of her head because Kara refused to let her join in on their incursion to the Underworld.

"I'm going too," Alex said, making sure her weapons were in place.

Kara sighed. She knew she was in for a fight. "No, you're not."

Alex's head snapped right up. The redhead stared at her sister, a displeased frown on her face. "Yes, I am."

"No, you are not. Alex..."

"Don't you "Alex'"me, Kara! Why can't I go with you? I'm not some wet behind the ears kid, as I'm sure you remember!"

Kara pinched the bridge of her nose. Yup, it was going to be a fight. Looking behind her shoulder, she watched for a second as Diana talked to Io and Nesba in hushed tones. "I know you are not," she started, her voice soothing. "But I don't know what we're going to find in there and—"

"That never stopped us before!" Alex interrupted, angry.

"True, but Alex, back in National City, it's either aliens or metas, and you have the means to face them, and I'm there to back you up, but here..." Kara looked back at the ominous-looking black gates. "Here is different. Last time I fought a creature that escaped those gates, I was hurt badly." Kara stepped closer to her sister, pleading in her blue eyes. Alex scowled, and Kara knew she was about to win this battle. She would have to make it up to her later. "These are magical creatures, Alex. I don't know if I can protect you from them. Please, stay, just this once. Please."

Alex's scowl deepened. "One scratch, Kara... One scratch, and I swear magic will be the least of your worries." Turning around on her heels, Alex stomped to where Kayo waited for them, her clear eyes observing them curiously.

Kara rubbed her eyes tiredly, knowing Alex was not happy with her. She hated saying no to Alex, but she would not put her in harm's way when she had no way of defending herself, not unless she really had to.

Strong hands settled on her shoulders and squeezed, slowly applying more pressure until Kara finally felt the stress melt away.

"We'll forgive you as long as you come back in one piece," the mellow voice burrowed in her ear.

Kara chuckled and turned around, wrapping her arms around Diana's waist and smiling up at her. That had been a fight. "Same goes to you, Princess."

Diana lowered her head, brushing their lips together. "I will always come back to you, sweet Kara, and if I don't, you have my permission to invade the Underworld and bring me back."

Kara huffed, their lips still touching. "Don't make me do it, Diana. I will raise hell in there and threaten to redecorate everything in bright funky colors until I find you. Your uncle is not going to like that."

Diana grinned.

Kayo stood in front of the gates, mumbling under her breath in an unknown language. Her eyes glowed amber as the magical words left her lips, and her hands spread out in front of her. A white energy ball formed between the palms of her hands, and the Healer let it manifest for a moment, her hands moving slowly around it, almost like a gentle caress. Her mumbling incessantly, Kayo pulled her right hand back and pushed the energy ball forward. The white light flowed steadily and ethereally until it stopped in front of the eerie gates, slowly expanding in a whirl of blinding white and golden.

Kayo dropped her arms slowly to her sides and turned around, her eyes still glowing. "Go. I will reopen the gate in one candle mark from now."

Diana squeezed Kara's hand lightly and stepped forward, drawing her sword as she moved towards the portal, Kara and the others following closely behind.