Chapter 24

کوئی تھا منتظر اپناکسی کے منتظر تھے ہم

کوئی تھا منتظر اپنا
کسی کے منتظر تھے ہم

/////

Zaman being Zaman wanted everything to be done privately, he didn't even want his closest cousins to know about it. There was one time when at events like Eid and weddings when four and five of the lads would snuggle together in the bed, from sharing their clothes to stealing things from each other's bags, Zaman have had the best time unless and until their universities started. Some went to abroad whilst some stayed back. Zaman on his father's insistence got admission in Nust and that's how he ended up in Islamabad even tho he had always dreamt of going to England. They rarely met, long gone were the sleepovers as now they had stepped into practical lives.

It wouldn't be a lie that he was the only one in group left unmarried. But he never got time to think about it. He existed too, carried a heart, feelings to feel and dreams to dream. After his university he helped his father in business until Khalil announced for Ibrahim to look into the business and Zaman to be leader of their party. His brother, Ibrahim down had tracked the paths from him but he hadn't cleared them. For a twenty three years old it was so hard to gauge who to believe in and who to not. It took him those five years that now he could understand the heinous thinking behind the cynical smiles and when they say eyes were a way to mind, they said it right. You just needed to see rightly.

Now that he sat on the Persian rug in his room, against the leg of his plain bed, it struck him that those five years had flown by and he never acknowledged it. Not until now.

Whenever his hands had been lifted up, they were never returned empty and at last he was so ecstatic to think about the most precious person he had asked for. He couldn't wait to have her as his. It will be then he and his desolate house would be complete.

Taking a deep drag of his cigarette, he exhaled out a cloud of smoke.

"Should I complain to your father then?" Rubeena stared at her son who coughed out the rest of the poisonous smoke at the sight of his mother, he stood up throwing the cigarette on his marble off-white floor,smashing it beneath his right foot.

"Mama? Sorry didn't see you coming."

"What is my child doing?" Rubeena asked him lovingly, her eyes never leaving the ashtray as she saw it partly filled. "You've been smoking." She grimaced in displeasure.

"It was so calming otherwise you know me, I don't smoke."

She just hummed along whilst his mind wandered about how she had come to his home. It was very rare for his mother to drop a visit especially this late at night.

He sat back on the rug whilst his mother sat by the edge of bed, his head laid on her knees.

"Mom you have no idea how much you have made it hard for me by prolonging it for further two months when I told you I wanted everything to be confined and mannered."