ch.18

seed

   we didn't go directly to the prison. rick had decided it would be best we waited a day so we could at least catch our breaths.

    when we were ready, we all trudged through the woods, trying to keep hidden and alive. our bodies covered in dirt that was mixed in with sweat, wasn't pleasant.

    the vehicles we managed to get on the other side of the stream, just in case we needed a quick escape route. none of us knew what it would be like once we finally got in.

    i stood guard with the others, while rick used wire cutters to cut through the fence. "hurry. hurry!" rick yelled to me and tdog who stood on watch, making sure the others were safe.

   i climbed through the fence, then tdog, followed by rick. glenn and daryl hurried to close the gap with rope once we were in.

   my eyes glanced at my surroundings, seeing the walkers in the yard, desperately trying to get through the fence.

   glenn gave me a nod once he was done, causing us all to turn, running between the fences to where the main gate was at.

   "it's perfect. if we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers" rick started, eventually turning to face us, "we'll take the field by tonight."

   my head turned to glenn, letting out a sigh in relief, followed by a smile in which he returned.

   "so how do we shut the gate?" hershel questioned, causing heads to turn in me and glenns direction.

    "i'll do it. you guys cover me" glenn stepped up, earning a dirty look from me, "no, i'll do it. i'm the fastest."

    glenn sent a challenging look to me, making me turn and look to rick, hoping he could decide who would go.

   rick shook his head, "no, you, glenn, maggie, and beth draw as many as you can over there" rick started, pointing to where he was talking about, "pop 'em through the fence"

   we nodded, listening for his other instructions. to my understanding, carol and daryl were taking one of the towers while hershel and carl were taking the other. rick was running for the gate.

    after he was done, my group ran to where rick had pointed to, screaming and yelling for the walkers to come.

    i grabbed a long metal pipe from the group, dragging it along the fence to grab their attention. "come here!" i shouted, sliding it through the fence hole, and into its head.

   i watched as one started to walk closer, only to turn around, hearing ricks gunshot. "hey, come here! come here!"

    i huffed, watching the ones that were left start to walk in ricks direction. i looked over to glenn, unsure on what to do.

    glenn had a small smile on his face, causing my eyes to shift to where he was looking. i watched as rick opened the tower door, closing it behind him.

    glenn placed a hand on my arm, giving me a nod, "he did it."

   "he did it" i repeated, pulling my gun out of my holster to shoot off the remaining walkers.

    i finally let myself smile, seeing as all the walker bodies were now limp to the floor. i huffed out a smile, pulling glenn into a hug.
___________

   the sun had now set and most of us sat around the fire, chowing down on meat daryl had managed to get.

   my eyes watched as daryl and rick made their way around the perimeter, checking for any loopholes.