43. reunited

"So what exactly is our plan?" Murphy wondered as the Rover barrelled through the forest, our destination set on the gorge. 

Madi and I had made excellent time in retrieving Murphy, Emori and Echo. It was still dark, likely somewhere in the middle of the night. I knew that if Bellamy and Octavia were still out there, it was imperative that we reached them before first light. 

I turned to Madi who was in the driver's seat. When I looked at her, she was already watching me, awaiting my answer. 

"We save Bellamy and Octavia." I answered firmly. "The rest we'll figure out afterwards."

"Raven and Shaw," Emori wondered. "What's going to happen to them?"

I pushed down the lump in my throat as I turned back toward the front, keeping my eyes locked on the moving terrain. "Nothing if we can get to the valley in time."

"And if we can't?" Murphy pressed. 

My silence was a good enough answer. I knew full well that Shaw and Raven were currently being tortured, and if McCreary found no need for both of them, one of them would be killed. 

"We're almost there." Madi announced, her grip tightening on the steering wheel. 

I shifted in my seat, looking back at the remaining three. "Everyone know their roles?"

Our first task at hand was rather straightforward. Get into the gorge, find Bellamy, Octavia and any other survivors we could before escaping and heading back to the Wonkru base. 

It was definite that McCreary's men would still be stationed there, so an attack was imminent. 

Murphy nodded as he patted the cannon beside him. "Round two, baby."

I let out a shaky sigh as I shook my head. "I hope you know how to work that thing by now."

"That makes two of us." Echo muttered, nervously gripping onto her gun.

The terrain beneath the Rover grew increasingly rough, signalling that we were approaching the gorge.

"Okay," I breathed, reaching out to grab onto the gatling gun. "Everyone ready."

"Madi," I called, looking over to her. "Keep driving until we see the first sign of survivors. Even if something happens to one of us, don't stop."

She gave me a shaky nod as she kept her eyes focused on the road. I could tell she was terrified, not only for this task at hand, but for what was to come as Heda. 

The Rover dipped down toward the lower ground, and as we approached the sound of distant gunfire could be heard.

"Someone's alive." Emori announced, her eyes wide in a mixture of relif, surprise and worry.

"They won't be for long if we don't get to them." I argued, squinting through the night to pinpoint the source of the shots.

"Madi, there!" I pointed, my eyes landing on an area within the dark and bloody gorge that was lit up by a spotlight. 

Madi jerked the wheel, hitting the gas and sending the Rover lurching toward the distant figure. 

"Emori, now!" I ordered, signalling for her to take her position in the cupola. 

As she stood up and began firing through the manhole on the roof, I began firing the large gatling gun, sending bullets raining down on the pillboxes up above. 

The Rover continued to speed on, and as we got closer and closer to the figure in the spotlight, my heart dropped slightly.

"Oh my God." I whispered, barely even recognizing her at first. Echo had said everyone was different, and just one look at my best friend confirmed that.