Chapter Six - Lure

Ice sparkled in the cold sunlight as Kat paced, agitated, in front of the hospital. Her mind was drowning, her rational thought fighting to break the surface of the water. She stopped, lifted her head and looked at Lucio. Frowning, she muttered something incomprehensible and continued her pacing. Lucio leaned against a tree, watching her silently. She turned to him suddenly, breathing heavily.

"I can call him off if you want," he said, raising his hands appeasingly.

She moved towards him, a dark look crossing her face, eyes taking him in hungrily. She watched the confusion cloud him. An uneasiness settled in the air around them.

"What are you doing?" He leaned as far away from her as he could, which she knew was physically impossible as he was already pressed against a tree.

"You're the one who can read feelings, tell me what I'm feeling." Kat murmured, mouth inches from his.

He looked into her eyes and then immediately at his feet, coughing loudly.

"What am I feeling, Lucio?" She purred, lifting his chin up with her fingertips.

"I don't know who you are, but you're not Kat." Lucio frowned, his eyes flitting between hers frantically.

Kat stepped back sharply, shaking her head. He was right, for a moment there she wasn't. 

"What is wrong with me Lucio. Seriously? I can't think straight!" She looked at him imploringly. "Explain. What does it say when you read me?"

He rubbed his temples, closing his eyes.

"It's impossible, no one who lives has this inside of them. I- It doesn't make any sense to me." He approached her with caution, she nodded her consent and his eyes met hers.

Lucio frowned, raising his hand to brush the crease between Kat's eyebrows. The sensation as his fingers came into contact with her skin made her sigh in relief. From what, she did not know.

"It can't be," Lucio whispered, "Death?" Kat's whole body relaxed at his question. Something pushed forward inside her, answering. Lucio snatched his hand back as though burned.

"Lucio?" Kat frowned as he stood staring between her and his hand in shock.

"It's called the tenebris. All borne of Death have it in place of a soul. It's just... darkness Kat, pure evil," he sighed, "have you made a deal?" 

"A deal?" Kat shook her head in confusion and then her eyes glazed over momentarily.

"He's here." Kat frowned, "My border guards have just notified me. We'll continue this later."

"Stay in your houses, stay away from the hospital and surrounding area. That is an order." Kat pushed her command through her mind, into every wolf in the pack.

Lucio still stared at her as though she had grown a new head as laughter rang out in the trees behind him. A man ran impossibly fast into the clearing. He pulled Kat in close, scooping her up and hugging her tightly.

"Kat, thank you. This is-" he let out a breath while fluffing her hair, "Liberating!" 

She opened her mouth to reply as ten men ran through the forest behind him and encircled them all. 

"Too slow guys!" The man stepped back and laughed again, his chest filling with the glorious sound. Kat couldn't help but grin at him.

"Alright V, you're here for a reason so-" Lucio barked.

"Lighten up man, shut up for a minute so I can enjoy the little freedom I am afforded here." V leaned back, taking in his surroundings and whistling, "Whew, it's so... green." He breathed in deeply, closing his eyes.