8- stroll down memory lane

I packed my ukelele and a few other things for the Kitty Section rehearsal. I pondered for a second if I really should take my ukelele... Would Luka and Marinette remember to stay and hear me play or would they miss it like before? I didn't care much for Marinette listening, but I did for Luka... Since that Saturday when Marinette was missing and we sat and talked, I couldn't shake the thought of him and me playing together. It just seemed like a wonderful moment we could share. Him and his bass, me and my ukelele, our voices combined, humming along to the tunes with chirps from the birds and waves from the river making the perfect background sound...

I looked down a bit sad, part of me knew the chances of it happening were extremely low. Looking myself in the mirror I could see my pitiful face. Such a lonely hopeless boy standing in front of me.

I grabbed my ukelele, put my backpack on and headed out. My head filled with thoughts of Luka's relationship with Marinette, and the absence of me in it. The mental images of them smiling to each other was bringing my mood down unconsciously. When I got to his house I noticed I'd been frowning the whole way. I quickly snapped out of it and prepared myself to greet everyone.

"Hi guys" I looked at everyone and smiled. They started greeting me back.

I took out my backpack put it on the sofa, along with my ukelele bag. Ivan, Alya, Nino and Marinette had not arrived yet so they couldn't start practicing. Juleka and Rose were sitting down in the stage area chatting and Luka was tuning his bass. While I was putting my stuff down, he stopped and headed towards me. I was caught off guard when he suddenly called me from behind.

"Y/n" His sweet voice called my name.

"Oh! Hi, didn't see you there" I looked behind quickly, not expecting him so close.

"You brought your uke? That's nice, I'll be able to hear you play then" He smiled excitedly but still with his characteristic calm eyes.

"Yeah, Juleka asked me to bring it again so why not? It was fun to play for everyone last time"

"Sorry I wasn't here to hear... I can't believe I got so distracted with Marinette's guitar lesson. And I was the one asking you to bring it. Ugh, I'm such an idiot" He shook his head and hit his hand in his face as to punish himself.

"Oh no! I get it, don't worry. Specially after that kitchen disaster..." I hurried to reassure him that it was fine. I wasn't exactly 100% fine with it, but I didn't want him to know.

"Yeah, it really was something else... Marinette..." His eyes wondered off as the corners of his mouth tilted up forming a small smile. "She's such an unique girl... Only she could cause such a thing to happen."

I chuckled, trying to convince myself and him that my heart wasn't breaking from listening to those words.

"Yeah... She really... Is ahah" I struggled to talk.

And speaking of the devil, she arrived with Alya and Nino that same second.

"Heyo guys, sorry we're late! My sisters were being little demons today." Alya smiled apologetic.

"Oh stop, they're so cute. They just wanted to play with us a little longer" Marinette was quick to defend them. As she always did... Marinette the perfect girl...

"It's fine guys, Ivan hasn't arrived yet so you're not that late" Rose smiled to them. "Oh I hope he's fine... I'm starting to get worried..."

Juleka hugged her and gave her a few pats on the head. "Don't overthink it, Rose"

But after 15 minutes of waiting, we all started getting worried. Nino finally decided to call him to see if he was alright.

"Hello? Ivan, wassup man, are you okay?

... Yes

.... Really? That's cool, don't worry about it! Okay see ya in school!"

Nino turned off the call and turned to us. He sighed relieved.

"He's fine. He went to visit family outside of the city and just forgot to tell us."

We all let out the breath we were  holding.

"So what are we going to do then? We can't practice without Ivan" Rose asked disappointed.

"We should go out for ice cream! I saw it on the way here and thought it would be nice if we all went. Specially considering that today is super hot." Marinette suggested happily. Everyone immediately agreed, picturing the sweet and cool ice cream in their mouths.

We all started getting up and ready. In the middle of all the movement and talking, Luka looked at my ukelele and then at me.

"You should take it with us" He noticed my confusion and looked at the ukelele once again, making me realise what he was talking about.

"Sure" I grabbed the small case and brought it with me as we all walked through the city.

On the way, the groups of chatter started forming. Juleka and Rose were ahead of everyone, talking and holding hands. I didn't even question it, I was well aware by now of their almost-dating friendship. Behind them was Nino and Alya holding hands, the official couple, with Marinette and Luka next to them, the most shipped couple, walking side to side. And behind them all, was me. Looking out at the view.

We were walking near a canal and the view was simple and adorably cozy. The water rushed down, sometimes pushing small boats with it. The trees that grew on the other side of the canal were in full bloom and the flowers waved around with the wind, almost as to welcome me to the new place I found myself in. Sometimes people riding bikes and mothers with their kids would pass through us, completely ignoring our existence. I remember thinking that I was in a Disney movie, with everything around me perfectly harmonious.

I heard the group in front of me laugh often while I looked out to the view. They were enjoying themselves without me, and I couldn't blame them, I wasn't a very talkative person and definitely didn't have as much fun as them talking about ladybug, childhood crushes and the other many things they talked about. I was already used to look out at my surroundings and use the time to enjoy the views instead of feeling pity for myself.

"Y/n" I looked to the front, not expecting my name to be called. I noticed Luka walking slower to catch up with me. "What are you doing back here?"

"Just enjoying the view. It's the first time I walk through this place" I smiled looking around some more. He followed my gaze and looked to the trees on the other side. He changed his expression from slight worry to a relaxed smile.

"It is beautiful. Specially during this time of the year" His eyes followed a tiny flower that was falling down to the river. Between the chatter from the group in front of us and the ambience sound all around, I found it very pleasing to hear his quiet and calming voice. It was like we were in our own little world, invisible in plain sight to everyone.

"We didn't have those trees back in my town." I said remembering the times I used to walk down the river near my old house. "There were huge weeping willows near my old house, I used to sit under them and watch the sunset everyday of the summer... Those were the good times..." I smiled a bit nostalgic, suddenly missing the feeling of freedom and peace it gave me.

"I hope I can experience something similar to that someday. It sounds like a magical moment." Luka smiled trying to imagine it.

"It really was... One day I'll take you there and show you"