10: Opening Up

**Kakashi's POV**

I watched as Y/n set her bowl in the sink. I hadn't noticed before, but it looked like she had a small mark on the back of her neck. I sighed to myself in disappointment. It was probably from Asuma.

"I hope the food was ok," she smiled as she sat back down.

"Yea. It really was. You're a great cook."

"Will you make sure to tell my mom that the next time you see her?" she laughed. "She's been forcing me to cook since I was like 5."

"Really? Why?"

"Mmm, well, I'll never get a husband if I don't know how to cook," she mocked. "At least that's what I'm told."

"But you're a shinobi," I laughed.

"Exactly! And the future Nara clan leader. But apparently, all that matters is that I can keep a house in order. My mom is very traditional."

"You're the future clan leader?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Geez, Kakashi. Don't look so surprised," she teased.

"N-no, sorry. I didn't mean it like that. It's just usually that falls to the first son, not the first-born."

She nodded, "And it would've. They were planning on that the first couple years of Shikamaru's life. But then I showed signs of the kekkei genkai at around 7, so now it's like my destiny according to the elders."

"Wow. That's really impressive."

"It's not like I did anything other than just be born," she shrugged. "But they're always telling me how important it is that I marry someone with strength and prestige or some shit... I got a letter like every couple months about it while I was gone."

"Really?"

She laughed, "Sorry, I can't believe I'm just dumping all of this on you."

"It's fine. I'm happy to listen."

Plus, I was really curious to learn more about her and her life.

"My mom has suitors for me. Literal suitors. Like there's some noble from the Hyuga clan. Another from the Yamanaka clan. It's fucking nuts."

"Asuma is a Sarutobi, the son of a hokage," I teased.

"Oh my gosh, don't remind me," she rolled her eyes. "My mom would lose her shit if she found out I was hooking up with him. She'd probably start planning the wedding."

Well, there's the confirmation I was looking for.

"And you don't want that?" I shouldn't have asked, but I couldn't help myself.

"No," she said softly, her mood changing quite a bit.

"Why not?"

"Have you ever been in love, Kakashi?" she looked at me as she rested her head in her hands.

"I-I'm not sure," I answered honestly. There were times in the past I thought I was, but it didn't really seem like it anymore.

"Me either," she sighed. "Asuma is such a good guy, but I don't feel anything special with him. He tried to make things more serious awhile ago, but I just know it'll never be that way."

I was shocked by her honesty. I was also surprised to hear that she didn't know if she had ever been in love... What about Itachi? Tsunade had filled me in on a lot when Y/n left. I thought her love is what made her chase after him?

"Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just let Shikamaru's kids be the next clan heirs. I know he'll end up married."