二 | It is not mercy, just pity

osmanthus flies

"Wait, now that I think about it

"Wait, now that I think about it . . . She could just be some random girl who happened to be passing by the hibiscus field and got caught up in the sealing explosion," Kisame remarked as he laid the girl down onto the mattress in their rented inn.

Itachi watched silently as she shuffled in discomfort. Her body was bruised from head to toe, and she looked like a broken puppet. He would have thought so, if it were not for the bleeding gash on her forehead that marked a sign of life.

She shivered from the cold rain, her tears-stained face scrunching in pain. A soft groan escaped her lips as her brows drew together in anguish. And as Itachi analysed her, he found her expression rather uneasy to digest.

Pein, no, not just him, but rather, everyone in the whole shinobi world had always addressed the Fragrance as if they were tools. He got used to thinking that the Fragrance were just objects deprived of emotions that the nations would do anything to possess. The way she held profound emotion on her face right then brought an unsettling feeling over him.

Kisame eyed Itachi due to his moment of silence, his brows raised slightly. "Why are you not saying anything? You are smarter than me, of course, you should have realised the probability that she isn't the Fragrance."

Itachi averted his gaze from the girl to Kisame. "And I have also realised the probability that she is the Fragrance," he retorted before he took a step back and began taking off his soaked Akatsuki cloak and straw hat.

Kisame narrowed his eyes. "I've been your partner and a good comrade of yours for a long time, Itachi. I've seen you since you were a boy, it's easy for me to read that emotionless face of yours. You are being merciful all of a sudden, why is that?"

Itachi gave Kisame a side glance. "It is not mercy. Just pity," he muttered under his breath. "I've never been merciful, not even towards my own kin."

"Pity? Well, sympathy is also quite rare in you. Why pity her?" Kisame pressed on.

Itachi glanced at Kisame as he brushed his drenched strands of hair out of his face. "If she were truly the sole survivor of the Kaori Clan annihilation, anyone would think she is rather pitiful, wouldn't you agree?"

Kisame's lips curled up. "Ah, you mean, she would be just like your little brother."

Itachi gave Kisame a hard glare but said nothing, not giving Kisame the satisfaction of seeing his reaction. He turned away from Kisame and headed for the door without another word.

Kisame watched him, his brows furrowing. "Where are you going?"

"Since we cannot do much while she is unconscious, I will rest," he muttered as he placed his hand on the doorknob

Kisame scowled at him. "But don't you think that at this rate, she might be unconscious forever? Look at her, she's going to catch a cold for sure, not to mention, bleeding out from the gash on her head. Those bruises look rather severe too. Are we really gonna leave her like this?"