CHAPTER •°• twenty eight

SIRIUS WAS SITTING in the Great Hall and looking at Maggie as she finished reading her letter. She was sitting with him and Remus that day and he wished that he would be able to be happy and excited for her.

But he couldn't. He sighed deeply, holding an expensive envelope in his hands.

He finally got the letter from home, but looking at Maggie he just wished that it came another time, because from one side he wanted to find out what Shackelbot wrote her, and from the other he did not want to find out what his mother wrote him.

But he had to open the letter and he had to read it. He waited long enough for that and wasn't even sure what to expect. At this point that huge delay could mean anything.

Sirius felt as Remus found his hand under the table and squeezed it gently.

"I can read it for you, if you like." He proposed, his voice quiet.

Sirius hesitated. From one side he wasn't sure whether he wanted Remus to know what his mother wrote, but from the other he didn't know how to make himself read the letter.

So he slowly nodded and answered.

"If you could." He said, trying to ignore James's stare from a few seats away. He knew what was happening, but he was preoccupied with Lily, and Sirius knew that this gaze meant 'Imma ask you what happened later'.

And he wasn't sure if he was able to face any of that.

Especially when he turned around and saw Maggie's anxious expression as well, and he felt both sorry for destroying her moment, and bad because of all the attention on him.

"Sirius?" Asked Remus gently, reaching for the letter. "Are you okay?" He asked and Black nodded his head slowly.

He gave the letter to Lupin and took a deep breath. 

"I'm okay." He admitted and felt as Maggie also caught his hand, the other one than Remus did. 

Sirius smiled at her weakly and looked down as Lupin started to read quietly.

"Dear son." He started, his voice nervous. "Me and your father are sincerely sorry for the delay in answering your letter, however Regulus's owl had an accident on the way home and his letter got here barely today." He took a deep breath and visibly skipped a few lines of unnecessary text describing the details of the accident. "As for it's essence-" Lupin squeezed Sirius's hand. "-I am rather surprised that you are homosexual." He read and Padfoot felt his stomach turning upside down. "However." Lupin continued, his voice suddenly more hopeful, and Black glanced up at him. "I do not blame you for not telling me and I am happy to know more about you. I've heard that you have a boyfriend and it would be my greatest pleasure to get to know him." Remus took a sharp, deep breath. He skipped a few lines ahead again, probably skipping the unimportant stuff and continued. "About that. Do you plan to come home for Chtistmas this year? It would be my pleasure if you did. Best Regards, Mother." Remus finally finished, but what was in the letter left Sirius unable to speak for a few moments.

He always was sure that his parents were the most conservative people in the universe. He always thought his mother had only one image for him and that it did not include being gay.

He thought that there was only so much that could be out of the perfect frame of him that his mother had in her head. He thought that he crossed the line when he was sorted to Gryffindor. 

But apparently he misjudged his mother after all. Perhaps she was able to accept more than he thought. 

And despite the fact that he knew tolerance was the bare minimum someone could show you it was still a positive shock to him.