Crush

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is! It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged. Which is certainly more than I can say for Miss Abigail Bentley. Although, if my sources are correct, she is to dine with said Bridgertons tonight, along with the Duke himself. Who knows, maybe she has a plan to snare one of the Bridgerton boys.

Anthony rushed out of the dining room when he saw whose place card he was seated next to, and more particularly whose place card was seated next to Daphne's. 

"Mother!" He called, entering the foyer. 

"In here, dearest!" He heard from the parlor. 

He headed that way, hot footed.

"Did you not think to tell me we had guests for dinner? More particularly did you not think to tell me that the guests were Hastings and Miss Bentley?" He questioned his mother, who was quite apparently caught off guard.

"W-well the Duke is coming because Lady Danbury told me of his fondness for gooseberry pie, and Mrs. Porter is renowned for that dish." Violet explained to her eldest son, clearly not expecting this level of irritation. 

"No, you are attempting to set Daphne up with Simon and I am telling you now, it won't work. He has absolutely no intention of marrying, he's told me himself." He rebutted. "And you still have yet to explain why Abigail has received an invitation for tonight." 

"Oh please if I had a shilling for every time a man swore he would never get married, I'd be a very rich woman." She scoffed. "And why should it matter if Abigail comes over for dinner?" 

"Yes, brother. Why should it matter if Abigail comes for dinner?" Benedict began to tease from his spot on the couch. 

"Ben, stop it." Anthony gritted out. 

"Stop what? Have I missed something?" Hyacinth questioned as she bounced up from the table she and Gregory sat at.

"Please, you've only missed the fact that our brother has a large crush on Abby and refuses to acknowledge it." Eloise said, not even looking up from her reading. 

Everyone in the room snorted simultaneously. Well, all except for Anthony. 

He glared at Eloise and said, "Well, I can tell I have no grounds to refute the invitations and since I'm being teased for something untrue, I shall go up to change." With this he walked out of the room and everyone burst into laughter. 

"Does he truly not see it?" Eloise questioned towards Benedict. 

"In total fairness, I don't think either of them do." He responded and left the room to go change as well. 

----

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places." Colin said in response to the debate that sprung up about Lady Whistledown's identity. 

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?" Benedict countered. 

"She does seem to be someone with access." Daphne added.

Abigail smiled, as dinner was in full swing and a rather lively debate had taken place. She enjoyed the warmth she felt at the company around the table. All of them at one table, even the children. It was refreshing to see such a large and happy family. She missed this, this is the feeling she remembered when her mother used to entertain her own family at dinner. It was nice to feel again.