Chapter 3

New York City ~ 11 hours after Katerina's escape

The voice of the pilot over the comms jolted Katerina awake as the plane started its decent into New York City. This was it, the start of her life on the run, in a new city, new country. She is going to need to adapt and try to blend in the best she can. Starting with her clothes. 

***
Exiting the airport, Katerina spent the last of the cash of a wallet she had to steal back in Russia to buy some clothes that will help her blend in. Lucky for her they owner was a tourist so had dollars left in his wallet.
Katerina managed to buy some basic, cheap clothes with some money left over to get some food.

''That will be $44.95'' the kind looking lady with fiery red hair that hung straight over her shoulders and slightly rounded glasses that framed her face. 
Katerina handed over the cash before nodding in thanks and swiftly making her way into the store bathroom quickly to change. Locking herself in the stall she quickly slipped out of her one piece battle suit and slipped into a pair of black jeans, a black tank top and a thin black hoodie that had green lining over the top covering Katerina's many scars from the battles and excessive torture. She was never ashamed by her scars, but she wanted to avoid drawing attention to the clear ones which might in some way blow her cover. Some might say she was being paranoid; she needed to in order to survive.

Katerina checked the time on the digital clock that was on the store wall, 18:21.   The young assassin grabbed her stuff that she had bought and her suit before swiftly leaving the store.

Katerina found herself wandering around the streets of the foreign city before finding herself walking towards a bad situation. A tall apartment building was engulfed in flames. She felt her eyes widen in shock as she rushed over to the fire where firemen were trying to control the situation; they were losing. Before she could hesitate, she found her power to be manipulating the flames as the fire traveled towards her and engulfed her hands, It wasn't burning her, she was absorbing the energy. Unknowingly, she emitted large amounts of crystal blue water from her hands, moving it around into the middle of the building and defeating the fire.
Who knew, she had more powers than she was aware of, so far fire and water, speed and strength, what other experiments had she been used in?

Defeating the fire and helping everyone escape the singed building apparently drew a lot of heads to her direction. People with phones in her direction had just caught everything she did on camera. Anxiety swirled through her brain creating a lump in her throat as she hid her face from the people and ran as fast as she could in any direction only stopping in a dark alleyway after what must have been over an hour later. The sun had already set and it was now pitch black outside.

'What am i going to do, if any of them fought my face on camera, my cover is blown. They are sure to find me.'
Thoughts washed over her brain as she crouched out of breath leaning against a brick wall. Loud footsteps echoed though the alley as Katerina found herself face to face with two men. The brunette assassin's body tensed up as her brain flashed back to her parents death in the same situation, except her parents were not there to save her this time.