79

"what did you say...!?" Evelina asked with a stunned expression.

"T-the head maid...said she's too busy..." Carol's feet trembled. She knew a violent tantrum was coming. But instead, Evelina merely bit the tip of her thumb and mumbled words to herself.

"That old wench...! What is she thinking...!?" Evelina mumbled to herself and gritted her teeth.

It was obvious the head maid was intending to break all ties with her, by avoiding her. Aside from her tasks as a head maid, she would not contact Evelina.

"....it must be her.." Evelina felt a burning fury arise within her. She has a strong suspicion on who may be behind the head maid's actions.

****************
That afternoon, the duke asked Angelina to come by his study, and once she arrived, he immediately questioned her.

"Angelina. I heard that you and the Emperor of the Vancelia Empire are quite close.... What exactly I your relationship with him?" The duke asked. His eyes clearly showed the greed, calculation, and conflict in his mind.

'oh..? Once I deny, he would pick a suitor for me, with an eased heart after he confirmed I don't have that kind of relationship with him highness.

And if I don't deny, he would either try to ask for me to get engaged to his highness, or ask me to end the relationship, in fear I'll get too powerful.' Angelina carefully calculated the duke's possible intentions in her mind.

Seeing her not reply, the Duke call her name. "Angelina?"

"No father, I do not have that kind of relationship with him highness. We're merely close acquaintances." After some consideration, Angelina have him her answer.

"Is that so?" The duke seemed slightly suspicious.

"Hm? Is father still not sure? Be at ease, father. Your daughter is still to young to be in a relationship" Angelina smiled reassuringly.

".....hm. Fine. You may leave now." The duke let her leave. But as Angelina turned around and made her way to the door, the duke, for some unknown reason stopped her.

"Wait!" The Duke seemed to regret stopping her once his words left his mouth. As if he didn't mean to call out to her.

"...is something the matter, father...?"

"....." The duke rubber his temples and sighed. "N-no. You can go."

Not caring for what the duke was thinking, the silver haired lady left without looking back.

"......." The duke sat down on his grand seat and sighed once more. A vague silhouette of a woman's back view appeared in his mind. Although only her back was shown, one could tell just by her silhouette, how beautiful she was.

The duke gritted his teeth with frustration. He didn't know why he suddenly thought of that woman.

*******************
"Welcome boss." Sir Robert bowed as he greeted Angelina.

Angelina and Marie who was behind her, both wore black cloaks. Angelina has now debuted, more people know her face now. It would unwise for her to go here and be addressed as 'boss', while not concealing her identity.

Angelina knew this was not the right time to reveal her identity. She still needs to do much more before the time comes.

"It's good to see you are well, sir Robert." Angelina nodded politely. Then asked, "is everything going smoothly...?"

"Yes, boss. But we're sort of running out of paintings to sell. I had to ask the customers to only buy one piece, since many came here, asking to buy multiple painting at once."