三 | Eat while I'm still nice

autumn rain

Kuina listened as Itachi and Kisame's footsteps receded into the distance

Kuina listened as Itachi and Kisame's footsteps receded into the distance. The room soon returned to its utter stillness, allowing the sound of the rain to engulf the silence.

She closed her eyes, hugging onto herself, feeling helpless in her next course of life. The thunder rumbled as lightning flashed outside, and she placed her hands over her ears, shrinking beneath the comfort of the thin blanket.

Kuina had always known that the world outside the hibiscus field was full of danger, thus, she had never once stepped foot outside the barrier in her nineteen years of life. Not once had she interacted with anyone from outside the clan, apart from a few harmless civilians at the foot of the mountain here and there.

This was the first time, and she was scared beyond words. Everyone in her clan had always told her that once she was lost alone in the world outside, she would be captured, and an unsightly, unforeseen doom would befall upon her.

She knew she needed to flee from her two captors and find a place to hide herself for all eternity. But where would she run? Where could she hide?

She was the Fragrance, she only had the power to see through people's lives. She didn't know any great jutsu to combat or defend herself. In this vast world, there was only one escape: death.

She needed to die. It was ultimately the only hope she had left.

She will talk once she realises that death isn't the hope she could cling to.

Itachi's voice rang in her head, and she squeezed her eyes shut, her fists clenching. Death was her only hope, and she would not let go of it.

Although everything felt hopeless at that moment, a small part of her was relieved that her captor was Uchiha Itachi and not some other scary terrorists.

Itachi might be cold and intimidating, but after she touched his hand and saw through his past and future, she realised that he was rather pitiful. Everything that that man had been through sent a surge of sorrow that was hard to gulp down. And if she were not in such a helpless state herself, she might want to help him.

She closed her eyes, too tired and injured to ponder about anything as she allowed herself to sink into a slumber. Perhaps, if she slept forever and never woke up, it would all be alright in the end.

With that she took a long nap, accompanied by the soft sound of the bleak autumn rain.

.

Kuina was awoken again when the door to her room was pushed open, and a thick scent of rain and wood filled her nose.

The light flickered open, seeping blindingly into her eyes and jerking her wide awake. She shifted uncomfortably as she looked over at the door where Kisame and Itachi were standing, their clothes and hair were damped as if they had just been outside.

She rubbed her eyes and cast her gaze out the window. The sun had already set. Velvet dark clouds veiled the horizon, and the rain hit heavily against the window. She furrowed her brows, her body aching in pain as she turned her back to the two men and pretended to lift off to sleep.

Kisame scoffed, watching her. "I know you're awake, stop pretending, you sly little thing." He trotted over to her with a plastic bag in his hand. He rumbled through it and grabbed out a box of bento and a plastic spoon. "Here's your dinner. Eat up." He chucked the box in front of her face.

She groaned as she snapped her eyes open. "I'm not hungry."

Kisame bore his sharp teeth at her. "Stop being a little piece of shit. Don't even think for a minute we'll let you starve yourself to death. You cannot die, we need you for the leader."

Kuina gulped, scared of the threat in Kisame's voice. She glanced over at him, taking in his inhumane appearance. His sharp teeth, shark eyes and grill, and ripped muscles made him appear like a true predator. She had never seen anything as scary as him before in her life, and she tensed her body to stop her trembling.

Kisame flicked the lid of the bento box open. The smell of teriyaki filled the room, and Kuina's mouth began to water as she realised she hadn't eaten anything ever since the annihilation. She clenched her fists as she squinted her eyes shut, refusing to fall prey to food.

Kisame spooned up the rice and chicken and held it out to her. "Eat while I'm still nice."

Kuina gritted her teeth. "No," she said firmly. Why would she eat when she had no incentive to keep going. She knew she was far too weak to move and attempt any suicide. The only resolution was to starve herself to death.

Kisame growled angrily. "If you don't, I'm going to kill you."

Kuina shot him a glare. "Do it."

He looked at her, and his face morphed into pure rage. He threw the spoon back into the bento box and stood up angrily. "That's it!" He roared as he stormed over to Itachi who was busy hanging up his Akatsuki cloak to dry. "I am done with this nuisance of a Fragrance. We're hired as terrorists for god's sake, what the hell is Leader-sama even thinking, making us go on stupid mission like this? I have always thought Fragrance would be sensible sages, not a stubborn little girl," he grumbled as chucked Itachi the bento box. "You do it. I can't."

Itachi received the box from Kisame, his face blank as he watched Kisame stormed out of the room.

*

𝐹𝑅𝐴𝐺𝑅𝐴𝑁𝐶𝐸
うちはイタチ