Chapter XXXI

The apple lies on the ground bruised. Its once rosy surface is flat and dark where they have the tell tale signs of mould. She should pick it up at some point, take it to the compost but she won't. She couldn't move at all. She was sat hugging herself closely as she looked across to the empty bed. When is she coming back? When does forgiveness happen? Instead of picking up the apple Kuvira grabbed her dagger and threw it, only satisfied when the blade sunk into the apple's flesh. The air smells of it now, sour and rotten. It only made matters worse. The rotten scent took her back to the warehouse. The sounds, the loud shot from the flintlock. Korra. Amon. All of it swirled around in her head and she couldn't make it stop.

Her chambers door opened and Zaheer stepped in, making her gasp in surprise. She wasn't expecting him to be here.
"I didn't realise you returned." He spoke, examining Kuvira's beaten up body. She was in rough shape, no doubt about that. Kuvira slowly got to her feet, wincing as her joints were stiff and bruised.

She stood up as straight as she could.
"My apologies sir, I was exhausted."

"No matter, you should've told me you were back." Zaheer scolded, kicking the blade out of the apple. He held a folded piece of paper in his hand and handed it to the woman. Kuvira cocked a brow as she unfolded the page. Her eyes widened as they analysed it. A wanted poster with her name on it, just like Korra's.
"What happened?" Zaheer asked, crossing his arms.

"Amon and I were trying to complete our contract. It was going well until... Korra showed up." Kuvira responded, her hands shaking as two larger men stepped into the room.
"Hiroshi got away."

"You both failed then." Zaheer scoffed as his hands balled into fists.
"Where's Amon? I wish to speak with him."
The muscles in her body stiffened as she inhaled a sharp breath. Her jaw clenched tightly, she didn't know what to say. Zaheer grew impatient at the woman's lack of response.
"Where is Amon?"

Kuvira swallowed the lump in her throat that was preventing her to speak.
"He was shot sir." She said.
"Amon is dead."

Zaheer froze, furrowing his eyebrows at this information. The man bit the side of his cheek, suppressing himself from releasing all of his rage onto the poor woman in front of him.
"You're telling me that you've not only failed to complete a contract.." He growled.
"But also managed to get one of my most experienced doctors killed?"

Kuvira's breaths became shakey as her eyes begun to glimmer with watery tears.
"I'm sorry sir." She whimpered, keeping her focus in front of her.

Zaheer turned to face the men behind him, he waved at over to where Kuvira stood.
"Take her away." The men nodded and advanced over to the woman, restraining her by the arms.
"You know where to go."

Kuvira tried to struggle against the men's grasp but her body was frail and weak, she didn't make much effort.
"Where are you taking me?" She cried as she was being dragged out of her room.

"Time will tell."
Her green eyes widened, those were the words he said about Korra that day.

<->

Asami looked towards her window and sighed. It had been a day since her assassin visited, the Sato wondered where she was. Perhaps it was something she did? Did she scare her off by accident? No that couldn't possibly be it. Korra must be busy, she'll be here again. Hopefully.

"Everything okay Asami?" Jinora asked with a soft smile. Asami disconnected her view from the window and looked at her friend who sat on her bed. It had been a while since they had seen each other, it was nice that Jinora had popped by and kept her company.

"Yes, there's just a lot going on." She said, tapping her pen continuously onto the page.

"Care to fill me in?" Jinora asked, getting to her feet. She could see that Asami was thinking about something maybe, someone?