44. preparations

The next few hours were spent preparing for battle and tending to the wounded.

As much as I wanted to be with Madi to ensure everything was fine as she attempted to plan a battle that could dictate the nature of the human race, I had spent most of my time in medical with Jackson.

There were so many injured l, more than he could handle on his own.

So, I had left Bellamy with Madi and had practically been removed from the outside world for the past hours, barely having time to see anyone rather than those who were injured or dying.

It was nearing midday by the time Jackson and I had either stitched everyone up, or run out of supplies. I wasn't entirely sure which, but when he told me to go get some air I couldn't argue.

The smell of blood was still thick in my nostrils as I pushed out of the tent.

The scene in the rest of base was more promising, but nonetheless caused a nervous shudder to run through my body.

Everyone looked determined and ready and they prepared their weapons. Whatever Madi's plan was, they were all ready to follow it.

I promised myself that I would go find Madi, but for a moment I needed to rest. I felt like I hadn't taken a single moment to myself in the last week at least.

Solitude was found around the back of the tent, not a single person back there. I took the chance to lower myself to the ground, dropping my head into my hands.

I may have had Bellamy back, but this wasn't over. Raven and Shaw were still in trouble, and it was likely that Clarke was too. I wasn't going to leave her, even if she did betray us all.

As I let out a deep breath and pulled my hands away from my face, I noticed that they were coated in the injured's blood.

I stared at them for a moment before attempting to scrub it off with the bottom of my shirt. I was so tired of all the blood.

In the middle of my small breakdown, I failed to notice that someone had approached me.

"Hey, Aves."

I looked up, my distressed eyes meeting the permanent dark ones of Octavia. All the light once behind her eyes was completely gone at this point.

I gave her a forced smile, unsure of where the two of us stood. I knew she had changed, quite frankly so I had, but we were still friends...right.

"Hey, Tavia." I greeted, my voice buckling slightly.

She remained silent for a moment as she sat down next to me, her eyes locked forward and away from me. "Six years." she commented, shaking her head. "Can't believe it's been six years."

I nodded, glancing over at her. "I missed you."

Her face gave way slightly, the hard exterior cracking as she let out a breath. "I missed you, Aves." she whispered. "I needed you."

She finally looked over at me, regaining her composure. "Do you hate me for everything I've done. Because it's clear Bellamy does." her voice was monotoned once again, surely a defensive mechanism.

"I wasn't there." I answered. "How can I hate you for things I can't begin to understand."

She pushed a lump in her throat down as her eyes stared forward.

"But that doesn't mean you still need to be the person you were down there. Forget Blodreina." I ordered. "Do better now and prove to your brother and everyone the real person you are."

"This is the real person I am!" she snapped, causing me to jump slightly.

Her eyes turned to look at me, and I swear I almost cowered away from her gaze. "You don't know me like you used to, Avery." she bit out, using my full name-something she hasn't done since we were teenagers. "Not everyone can be perfect."