LALISA'S NIGHTMARE

LISA POV

My eyes burn from crying.
I am exhausted, I feel assaulted by unbearable tiredness. Against my wish my eyes close...once...twice...the third time the darkness surrounds me.

While I am being embraced by the darkness, something slips from my hand; probably my smartphone. It slides against the head of the bed causing a thud.

Entering the nightmare...

The thud echoes in my head as I close the car door behind me.
I take a few steps on the concrete floor; the boundary fences are barely visible, thick woven mesh, behind spectral trees.

I walk; in the sky, the moon slowly disappears behind dark clouds, their heaviness weighing down on the earth.

I enter the heart of the leaden building; beyond the metal door, I observe the environment. Here the vivid red predominates. And shades of purple and green are a stunning contrast against the pale gray of the room; enlightened by the lights of the table lamps.

In the fluorescent aquarium, something undefined is floating around the rotten water.
A long red fringe comes down from the ceiling; I cross it and find them, at the round table.

They were waiting for me.

I sit down; I observe silently but I'm immediately cut off, marginalized. They whisper confidently in each other's ears, mock me.

Then, the dealer lays down the cards; four decks with our fate. Four decks with my fate on an elegant mahogany table.

We are ready to play the game. And I already know something is wrong; they're all wearing a big black mask protecting them from the toxic crap gas that surrounds us.
I know I'm alone here and I can only trust myself in this match.

I start to play the game; feeling the rhythm of the music, dancing. My dream, what I do best.

A curly-haired dancer approaches me.

"You'll come home after you have explored the dark Lalisa." She whispers behind the mask filter.

And it's here where the most painful of journeys begin.

- Loneliness -

"Let's count them."

Where I am? I'm leaning over, holding mandarins.

One, two, three...

"Lisa put them down here."

... fourteen, fifteen, seventeen...

"How can it be 17 after 15?!"

I am with Jisoo, at a mandarin Farm.

"No, I was just.."

"How many did you really get, Lisa?"

We're counting the mandarins we've picked; she seems eager.

"Hurry tell me!"

"I don't know.."

She's bothered by my disorientation.

"You can't tell "I got more". Look, I have more!"

"How strange, you couldn't have picked that many so fast, Jisoo."

I take the glove off my hand, and we start peeling them. They are nice bright orange, juicy mandarins.

"It tastes good?" I ask her.

"Because I picked them."

A small, cruel smile forms on Jisoo's lips.