Chapter Twenty Six - Alas, There's Goo!

My week continued on strange after missing counselling. Hendrix and I, following our short exchange on Monday morning, haven't spoke since. I'd half hoped I'd see him walking to Miss Harry's office, but of course not. So, I didn't take myself there either, and proceeded the day slightly downtrodden. After school on Thursday, I return to an empty home.

I imagine that my parents are at work, and Oli and Ezra must've taken the day out. So, in my pyjamas, I curl up on the sofa with a big bar of chocolate and a movie on the TV screen. Bliss, pure bliss.

Only, I'm interrupted. The door opens and I crane my head to view who enters. Ferne, much to my surprise. "Hey you!" She calls out. I pause my movie and sidle over to her, gleaming as I take her into a hug, an awkward one, thanks to her bump which is now absolutely huge.

"I wasn't expecting you." I tell her through a grin. She takes off her shoes, struggling greatly, so I offer a hand for her to use for support. "Do you want to sit?" I ask her.

She shakes her head emphatically, her dark hair swishing around her. "I've spent half of today trying to get up. I'll stand." I laugh, the pair of us walking into the kitchen where I proceed to make the pair of us a cup of tea. Decaf, for the baby of course. "I came to visit; where is everyone?"

"The 'rents are still working. Oli and Ezra must've gone out. I haven't seen them since I got home." I smile at her, offering her the biscuit tin, her eyes lighting up as she dives her hand in. She's had a sweet tooth this entire pregnancy, abnormal for her, because Ferne has a known preference to all things savoury. "It's just me, I'm afraid."

"Oh, I don't mind. I've missed you little squirt." I roll my eyes at the nickname. Ferne is ten years older that me, so I've always been a baby in her eyes, desperate to catch up despite it being unachievable. I was the annoying little sister that always wanted to be involved in her sleepovers, wanted to do makeup and paint nails and go out when she did.

"How's Roman?" I ask, dunking a biscuit in my tea.

"Yeah, good," she answers, with her mouth stuffed. "Busy with work, but what's new?" I smile at her softly, not ignorant to the hint of bitterness in her tone. It's one thing she's always hated, how Roman is so completed absorbed by work. He's a lawyer, and while it's a fabulous job to have, it means he's away from Ferne more than she cares for. I imagine she's particularly concerned now, what with the baby on the way. She's had to take extra maternity leave because he only plans to take two weeks.

"And how's little pea?" I continue, nodding to her bump.

She pats it delicately, then smiles. "Pea's good. Still today, to say they're usually a squirmer." Just as her sentence finishes, she winces, holding her breath as she places a bracing hand to the side of her bump. "I've had Braxton-hicks all day today, it's been a nightmare."

I raise a brow to her in question. "Braxton what's?"

"Fake contractions." She answers, the look of pain having completely disappeared now as she plunges her hand into the biscuits again, forgotten to the moment before. "They feel more intense than usual though."

"Is that a bad thing?" She shrugs.

"I've had them a lot. We were really worried in the beginning because we didn't understand what they were but –" she seizes up again, bracing her bump with both hands as she inhales sharply, holding it for at least a couple seconds before she exhales heavy, breathing staggered.

"Ferne are you sure they're normal?" I inquire, walking around to stand beside her. I recoil slightly, at the sight of her soiled jeans. "Shit! Ferne, your waters!"

She braces herself slightly on the bar stool, holding her stomach as she continues to breath deep and heavy. "No, can't be. I'm not due for another three weeks." She tells me.