Take Them Back

"If you don't let me go, Ava, I will kill every one of your staff including yourself."

"Eat up, sweetie." Mom said as we sat in my bright white room. No windows, no mirrors. Just a steel door as if I was an animal. Sometimes I wonder if she knew I had friends. Newt, Minho, Alby, Thomas. Most days I sit on my bed, staring at the wall wondering if she'll ever actually introduce me so I don't have to hide my friendship anymore. 

For some context, I've lived in this giant complex for as long as I remember. Same white room. No friends except the ones in my mind. My mom, Ava, comes to bring me food every morning, afternoon, and night. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. 

Then one night I was staring through a crack in the stell bolted door that led to my room. A small figure ran past me. Their clothing blurred into a navy streak as they sprinted past. That's when I met my first real friend. His name was Thomas. Dark brown hair and eyes. Always lean and always fast. 

Thomas somehow got the door unlocked and let me out of the cramped confined room. He brought me to a maintenance room where four others were. It took a while but I finally learned their names. Minho, Alby, Teresa, and Newt. Thomas said they'd been meeting here for a few weeks now. 

The five of us went on stupid adventures around the complex. Finally, I had something to look forward to every night besides bare walls and tired eyes. 

One night, Minho, Alby, and Newt took us somewhere we'd never been before. 

Outside. 

Newt and I were the closest out of everyone. Some days the two of us would go on adventures without the group. Just the two of us. We were bestest of friends. I told Mary, she was my tutor, all about him. She just smiled. I liked Mary. She would let me talk about sneaking out which I wasn't allowed to do but she found it amusing. 

That night we went outside was the worst day of my life. I was so excited to leave the walls of the compound. But we were caught. 

My world swirled as my life shattered in front of me. They took hold of Thomas, Minho, Alby, and Teresa saying they were going to take them to the crank pits or something. But then a soldier pointed to me and Newt, saying something that I'm sure had a big meaning but my naive mind didn't know what it meant. 

We weren't 'immune'.

I jolted awake, my mind pounding in pain, screaming for relief. I wrapped my hands around my head, brought my knees to my stomach, and rocked back and forth. Memories flooded through my head, images of my life before the glade. The pain was horrendous. Both emotionally and physically. 

When I opened my eyes I realized I wasn't back at the camp. It hadn't been a dream. Wicked did come and kill Mary, who I now remembered as one of the only people who had truly cared for me here, and they took me. 

Wires and tubes were strapped to my every limb and the blue paper gown I was wearing scratched against my skin. I ripped the tubes out of me with stinging pain as I pushed myself off the white bed. But legs shook before they lost support, dropping me to the ground with a thud. 

"NEWT!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Maybe they'd taken him too. I screamed his name again but no response. "please..." I cried to myself as the door to the room I was in opened. 

Ava. 

"Hello, dear." A surge of strength overwhelmed me as I scrambled to my feet. My legs still shook but it was the anger that held me up. I walked over to a table and grabbed one of the silver scalpels. 

"I swear to god," I heaved as I walked over to her, pointing the sharp surgical knife to her throat. "If you don't let me go, Ava, I will kill every one of your staff including yourself. YOU'RE ALL MONSTERS."

She sighed and put on the calm, infuriating smile as she looked at me and slowly pushed my hand with the knife down. "I remember a time when you called me mom." She said. 

I scoffed, the memories returning again as if new ones came every second. "Yeah, well so do I. I don't want these fucking memories. Take them back."

"Sorry Y/N. Can't."