M. Fushiguro - For You

(This one's kind of angsty, buckle up.)

Megumi was shaking, staring down at his open palms. At this point, he thinks, someone would assume that he is extremely cold.

That's not true. He's just terrified. Wide eyed, sweaty, and resisting the urge to tear his hair out.

It's not like there was any reason for it. He was sitting up in bed late at night, nothing disturbing the quiet atmosphere. He still felt horrible.

Memories and dreams are flashing in front of his eyes, he doesn't think he can distinguish between them anymore. It all feels so real.

Losing everyone. Itadori. You.

Being the failure that he knows he is inside.

"Stop." He whispers to himself, clenching his fists and pushing them onto his eyelids. His lips are screwed up, containing the jumbled words that want to leave his mouth.

"Stop, stop, stop." He continues chanting, shaking his head back and forth.

The string of words is interrupted by a hand placed on his shoulder. The light touch makes him jump, but still he refuses to look up.

"Megumi, hey. Hey, are you okay?" You say quietly, sitting up in bed next to him.

He looks up at the sound of your voice, staring at you with wide eyes.

You were right here. Why aren't you dead? He thought you were dead.

He stares at you, taking in your sleepy appearance and very real presence. Seeing you somehow makes him shake more. Opening his mouth, he tries to speak but all that sounds is a little whimper.

Your face melts into concern. Lifting yourself up onto your knees, you lean forward and wrap your arms around his shoulders, pressing his face into your neck with one of your hands.

"Okay, you don't have to speak. Just let it out." You say, rocking you both slightly.

Those words allow him to break down, tears falling from his eyes and down the length of your neck. His arms wrap around your back, fingers clenching the fabric of your shirt.

He pushes into you hard enough that you fall back on to the mattress, him laying on top of you.

You've never seen Megumi cry like this.

You saw him when he thought Itadori was dead, the way his lips scrunched up and eyes were sheltered from view.

That was nothing like this.

He was gripping you like you were the only thing keeping him tethered to earth. Like he would completely unravel if you made him let go. So of course you don't. You let him cry, and you let him sob.

Placing your hand in his hair, you start petting through it the way you know he likes it. He relaxes into the touch, and as the minutes pass, his tears slowly stop.

"Y/N, I- You were-" He says shakily, trying to gain composure.

"Megs, you don't have to talk yet if you don't want to. Don't force it, I'm here for as long as you need."

He nods slowly, nuzzling his head back down and winding his legs together with yours.

He hated feeling like this, especially in front of you. He wanted to feel strong. Someone you can rely on through and through. This was nothing like that.

The only thing that's keeping him from completing pulling away and saying he's fine is the knowledge that you genuinely care for him. You mean what you say when you're reassuring him, that's all he needs to keep going.

Having you with him, encompassing all of his senses, feels like a break from the wars in his mind. The endless stream of taughts are broken up by the safeness you give to him. Nothing feels better then being comforted by you, held by you.

He wish he was better at showing you how much that means to him.

Taking a couple deep breaths, or at least trying to, he lifts his head off of you. He places his hand next to your head, his other arm pressed over his eyes. He rubs it back and forth, wiping off any lingering tears.

You reach up, lighting grabbing his wrist and pulling the hand down. He looks at you with shock, so you hold eye contact, bringing his hand down to your lips and leaving a kiss on his knuckles.

"I'm proud of you, you know." You say, lacing your fingers together. Obviously, you don't know what he wants to hear right now, but this was probably a safe spot.

Megumi sniffs, letting himself fall down next to you. You both turn toward eachother, and you encourage him to talk by squeezing his hand.

"I feel like I need to protect you all, or something like that." He admits, shutting his eyes softly, "I know that you're all strong but after what happened with Itadori- I just don't want to feel that useless again."

You frown, placing a hand on his cheek and rubbing your thumb under his eye.

"I know me saying this might not change the way you feel, but I still feel the need to mention it." You start, "Usually the people you're trying to protect are trying to protect you as well. That's how it works with sorcerers a lot of the time. It's also not very pleasant, but people die that way."

He looks down, causing your hand to press harder on his face.

"But you know what... I think that's the best way for people like us to die."

You feel his face scrunch up in confusion.

"Regret, loneliness, weakness. A lot of us die with those lingering negative feelings, it makes sense right?" You don't wait for an answer, "I think dying protecting someone is a very beautiful way to go in this line of work."

He finally looks up, fixating his eyes on you, obviously lost.

"My point being, Itadori and anyone else who dies in front of you, is probably dying happy with the knowledge that you're okay. You being okay is what makes their death pleasant. It's never your fault that they got into that position in the first place, everyone has their own free will."

"But I was too weak to stop it in the moment." He says, interrupting your ramble.

"And that's why you're alive, Megumi." You retaliate, "They want you to live, thrive, and get stronger, because that's what made them happy in death. The knowledge that you are still able to do that."

"I guess you're right."

You snort, "It's not that I'm right or anything, I just think it's a lot more peaceful to see it that way."

His lips twitch, and he leans forward to press a slow kiss to your lips, pulling himself closer to you. Once your bodies are pressed together, hands clasped between your chests, he pulls away from the kiss.

"I'm sorry I'm such a bother with this." He starts.

"You don't have to say sorry about this. I'd prefer it if you don't" You say, and then smile, "At least, that's what you say to me all the time, right?"

"Right."

"I'll make your favorite breakfast tomorrow, I think you deserve it."

"I deserve it?!" Megumi splutters, "If anything, you deserve it."

"Fine then, damn. We both deserve it." You say cheekily.

He flicks your forehead softly, a non-threatening scowl across his features.

(The amount of bullshit I spewed to come up with that whole comforting bit really made me feel like a good person for once in my life. I shouldn't get used to it.)