Chapter 9

Albert's P.O.V (some I'm going to do a quick recap from his point of view just cause I feel like it. Enjoy!!)

We entered the theater, and I held my trembling hands against my side. I hadn't been back since my sister's death.

Race and Caz went over to say hi to Miss. Medda, but I wandered deeper into the theater, a single destination in mind. It didn't take long to find, I could never forget the way, but when I reached the door, I hesitated. Would it be different? Had Miss. Medda already moved everything that used to belong to her out of it? I shook the thoughts away and pushed open the door. 

Everything was the same. The purple-tainted bedsheets, the small bookshelf that held her favorite books, the chest at the end of the bed. Nothing had been touched since the last day I had been in here. 

"Can I help you?" I turned to see a girl, probably a year younger than me, standing in the door way. "Miss. Medda doesn't let anyone in this room."

"I know," I said. 

"Andy," the girl offered. 

"Albert."

"Did you-" 

"Andrea!" Miss. Medda's voice echoed throughout the theater.

"I should probably go," the girl said turning. 

"Tell Miss. Medda that she can make better use of this room." I knew she had kept it for my sake. But I had moved on. Accepted the fact that Ida was dead. I didn't need any reminders of it. 

"I will."

I watched from the side of the room as a group of the Newsies played cards, Caz among them. She let out a yelp of triumph as she won, once again. A few of the boys groaned and I noted how Elmer was falling asleep atop Jojo. Caz apparently noticed it too as she pulled him to his feet and led him to his room with the help of Mush. 

When she returned, she sat herself down next to me, resting her head on my shoulder. 

"Rough day?" I asked, a smile spreading across my face.

"The worst." She was silent, and as her breathing grew more steady, I glanced down at her to see that she had fallen asleep. I laid my head on hers, soaking in the moment. She was so amazing. I couldn't deny that I wanted her, but she was my best friend. Not to mention that I had no clue what Race's reaction would be.

Was I willing to risk the years of our friendship over some feelings that could flee at any given moment? I refused to admit that they were anything more than that, and I knew I couldn't risk it. She was too important to me. I would just have to be happy with the relationship that we possessed. It was enough. It had to be.

I gently rose from the couch and picked her up, making sure not to wake her. I carried her to her room and laid her on her bed, allowing a small smile to grace my lips as she curled up into a ball with her arms wrapped around her pillow. I pressed my lips to her forehead before exiting the room.

I could do this, pretend that I felt nothing until I managed to gain control of my feelings. I was determined. 

I watched as the words flowed freely from her mouth, unable to look away. She was beautiful, standing on the stage, wrapped in a red dress that displayed the red tinge that her blonde hair possessed, singing as though everything was right with the world. I had never heard anything so perfect. 

Too soon, it was all over. Race was the first to reach her, pulling her into a hug and mumbling praise into her ears. Andy was next, followed by the loudly exclaiming Elmer and Jojo. I came behind the two of them, arms crossed over my chest and my usual lazy smirk in place to hide the deeper feelings below.