twenty-six

Returning to Grams with the extra milk, a stupid choice really - one that requires me to go home quicker than I would like to - I can't fight my mind anymore as the town streets bring back waves of painful memories.

At first, we were just friends. Best friends - a part of the group. Casey, me, Luke, Brynn and the Cooper siblings: Maya and Jordan. We got lucky: Casey made the first move towards anything more than friendship with a member of our posse before Luke made his. We were all worried that Casey and Maya dating would ruin everything. But it didn't - sometimes we had to look away if they kissed or cuddled too close, but nothing we couldn't handle.

A year later, Luke finally told Casey how he felt about me. I pretended not to know, but of course Case told me. Not super happy about his womanizing best friend dating his baby sister, Casey agreed, with the agreement that he'd kill Luke if he hurt me. Fine by me.

When Luke asked me out, I was ready. Eager. The Luke Henson wanted me. And I sure as hell wanted him.

Settling for a moment on a bench, stuck in a dry patch of tall grass overlooking the shore, I squint my eyes at the glare off the waves. Flashbacks of us together assault my senses, making it difficult to keep walking.

I restrained most of the summer - technically, the entire school year before, too, if you counted me and Luke's videocall dates. I liked to count them, to say I held out longer than I did. But it was Luke and he was just so damn irresistible.

So after a couple of months of Luke Henson - suntanned and sculpted like a god, has every girl drooling at his feet, Luke Henson's undivided attention, I let go and gave him everything I had to give. Every piece of me, body and soul - for him and no one else.

Casey and Luke's accident was the next night. Of course, it happened after Casey sent me the text that tore my heart out.

I gave my virginity to Luke, and in turn, he was caught hooking up with someone else the very next night.

Two seagulls screech at each other, in a war over a discarded side of fries ahead of me. I focus on the birds, blinking hard to keep my emotions in check.

I guess in hindsight, I'm not surprised that it happened, given Luke's charming ways with the ladies.

I just still can't believe it was with her.

A wave crashes against the rocky shore, snapping me away from the worst memories that I have. Realizing I'm twisting and untwisting the leather cord I wear around my wrist too tightly, I let my hands fall limply atop my thighs.

I match my breath to the waves rolling in, standing up when I finally feel calm enough to return home. Grabbing the milk, damp with condensation, I begin the rest of my walk to Grams cabin.

Yallll

Yallll.. what's the story? Luke is too nice to have cheated.. right? RIGHT?! And with whom!!
Short chapter but needed it's own space I think :)
Remember to vote if you liked it!