XXIII

╭──── ✩ ────╮
SECRETS OUT
╰──── ✩ ────╯

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

MORNING OF OCTOBER, thirty first everything was fine. Sirius and I had woken up and started our first rounds of patrolling. While James and Lily stayed safe in their house. So far everything was good. Nothing had drastically changed since the announcement of the prophecy.

The brisk chill of the late afternoon sent a shiver down my spine, while Sirius and I walked down the streets of Diagon Alley— hand in hand. And that peaceful mood slipped— Something seemed off. Not only were there no death eater spottings this entire week but there wasn't anyone even here. Not a single child running around and looking for sweets; or a mother looking to buy a present for their kids. Nothing, nobody.

"Somethings off." I mumbled, looking around and through shop windows, "is Diagon closed today or something? Where is everyone?" I asked, squeezing Sirius' hand tighter out of instinct.

"Darling, no need to worry, I'm sure they are all just getting ready for Halloween. You know, all those muggle traditions." He reassured, kissing my temple lightly. The thought of the holiday had slipped my mind in the chaos of order business. Of course no one was here, they were all getting their consumes ready.

Letting out a sigh of relief, I placed my head onto his shoulder— letting myself relax into him while his body heat radiated off onto me.

"I can't wait to visit James and Lily tonight." I chirped, referring to how the two of us had been invited to dinner at the Potters home..well actually their safe house.

"Me too love, speaking of that, aren't we supposed I be cooking something-" before he could finish his sentence I clapped my hand over his mouth, shushing him.

Putting my finger up to my lips, I motioned for him to stay quiet before I removed my hand from his mouth. Pointing in the direction of Knockturn Alley where a cloaked figure had just entered.

Following the figure, the two of us made our way through many twist and turns. Only once did I get a glimpse of the person— but not enough to fully make out who they were; because all I saw was a whip of blonde hair that was so vaguely familiar to me. Yet I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Eventually we lost sight of the man, before turning back to the direction of our flat.

"Do we know anyone with blonde hair?" I asked, turning to Sirius with a worried expression.