10

✩──────────✩─────────✩

𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬. 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐚 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤. 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐭. 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞. 𝐈 𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐲'𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐲 𝐂𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐬.

---

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐂𝐇, 𝐈'𝐌 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐈𝐓. If anyone dares tell me otherwise I may just cut their heads clean off and put it on a pike for everyone to see. It's the best thing in this house by far. Not even my bed can compare and that thing is heaven. No, this is a whole new level of comfort that I never expected to find. The color is cool as well, a dusty blue with some purple hinted in the corners. Whether that's on purpose or simply wear is unknown and unimportant. I'm lucky, able to relish in such an expensive luxury. If this were any other family I would insist that I sit on the floor to make sure such an amazing item doesn't get damaged by me.

But surely there has to be more to this room, this whole deal I've found myself a part of. Jacob didn't come back when the rest of the Cullens did. Nobody told me why, but I suspected he needed some time after that fight. Shame on him for that. He was completely out of line. Still, I don't know the exact reason why he left. Hell, he didn't even leave with my number. I hope someone gave that to him.

The explanations for why everyone was gone became simple: the Cullens had to tell the wolf pack and tribe that I, Jacob's imprint, was safe in their care. Medically speaking Carlisle shouldn't be disclosing my information to them, but the risk of an attack is too great for me to be worrying about it.

It's not the worst thing that could happen. They could find out where I live. My mom's information could have been leaked. Someone on the dark web could want my organs. I could get cancer. Worse things can always happen and will if you dwell on the dumb things that happen in life. I'd rather enjoy that nobody is getting their heads ripped off today, tomorrow, or this week.

Edward came back with a scowl on his face and something in his back pocket. When I tried to ask him about things he smiled (which felt fake) and shrugged it off. Well, that wouldn't have been such a big deal if Emmett didn't also have something in his back pocket. He did the same thing. Oh, and Jasper. What is it with the three of them? Carlisle had nothing in his pocket and his face told me he had nothing to hide when he came home. The only thing he seemed to have there was his phone, which was already to be expected.

"According to the school there's a new girl coming to your classes," Esme announced. Rose and Alice blinked a few times from the randomness of it all. A new girl? Who would come to Forks? I mean, I only came because I need treatment. Is there another terminally ill person deciding that the lovely doctor Carlisle Cullen is their best bet at a longer life? I doubt it. Esme's smile lit up the room, however, and let my thoughts fall by the wayside. "This should be a new adventure for all of you. We haven't had a new student at that school since our mate."

From what Jasper said yesterday they hadn't had a new kid before me since them. Forks is just like that. Small, tiny even. Every single newcomer gets the usual harassment, or wonder, from those who have been here since the beginning. I can't imagine having lived here my whole life. Being enclosed by trees does sound fun, though.

"Sure, new people are always welcome here, right?" I said with a smile. "I doubt we have any classes with the girl. But if we do, we should be kind to her. It's a good thing to be on positive terms with the other students. I think they think you're either Angels or signed your souls to the devil. Better to make a... more normal impression."

My mates looked down at the ground. Had I said something wrong? God, I'm doing something stupid, right?

Edward broke the silence. "It's pretty hard to act normal when you're a vampire, Fennie, but know that we'll try harder if you think it'll be better for us all." Now I feel awful. I should just keep my mouth shut. "No, you're right. Rumors have already started because of us acting like outcasts. We have to integrate more, even if we're leaving after everyone graduates."

His words worked like a balm to my anxiety. I did want more friends. I've always wanted friends. Even if we're going to leave. I'm leaving everyone and everything. That's what happens when you're mated to a vampire coven. Being whatever a shared mate really is (I still can't figure it out. Do I really sleep with all of them? I'll ask Carlisle more about it since he's the oldest and seems to know the most about the nature of our bonds) means that I'm staying with them forever. Plus the imprint thing. Damn, that means Jacob won't want me to leave.

"Look, Jacob will have to handle your bond with you. We won't get involved." Edward gave me a rare smile. "But we will be leaving after graduation. We need to. If we don't, the Volturi-"

He paused. Esme gave him a questioning look.

"Go on," I baited him, wanting to hear more about this Volturi he brought up a few times. Something about 'The Volturi will come for us if we pose any threat of exposure'. Makes sense, but it boils Edward's guts for some reason. Probably the force of it all, having to be afraid of whatever they could do to him. Also just being a teenager eternally and hating rules. I get that.

"The Volturi, our vampire government, will destroy us all. You're right, I am scared of being killed. As much as most of us wish we could be human again, we don't want to die. We have wills to live." His brows furrowed as he handed me a water bottle. He must have read that I was thirsty. How they know that stuff, I don't know.

"If people realize that we aren't human, that we're eternally graceful, they'll start asking more questions. How did we get this way? Can they become one of us? And whether or not we like to admit it, the humans will destroy us in envy and in fear when the charm wears off. We keep our numbers so small that we can't fight back. They'll dismember and burn us," he explains. "That's the only way we can die."

I sighed. All of this talk of death right after we were chatting about a new student... Just the day in the life at the Cullens. I wouldn't change it for the world, though, I love everyone to bits.

"I'm sorry we can't give you a normal life, Fennie," Edward said solemnly.

"Oh, Edward, when has my life ever been normal?"

---