17

Since I'm not in school currently, I decide that now is the perfect time to go shopping and spend some of the money that I've earned from working at the café.

'It'd probably be a good idea to get some more groceries too,' I think as I head out the door towards the market. I shop around for a bit and end up buying a few shirts and a cool jacket before heading to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I am walking through the aisles trying to find everything I need when I hear a familiar voice call out to me.

"Y/n is that you?" Mrs. Saiki says, making her way over to me. "Oh my gosh, it is! Hello dear."

"Hi, Mrs. Saiki! How are you?" I ask remembering that I am a student and should, in fact, be in school... 

"Oh please call me Kurumi. I'm doing good! Thank you for asking! What are you doing here, are you playing hooky?" She asks with a suggestive smirk.

"Something like that," I answer back sheepishly.

"I totally understand! A little break never hurts! I won't tell anyone," she says with a wink and I smile.

"Thank you," I say "What are you shopping for?"

"Just dinner for tonight, my oldest son is back in town so I'm making his favorite!" She says excitedly. "You know what, why don't you come over! I'm sure Ku would love that."

"Oh! Thank you for the offer but I would hate to disturb your family dinner," I say back. 

"No, we would love to have you! I insist! Come over at 5 okay? We'll see you then, bye sweetheart!" She says and before I can get another word in she glides away.

'Okay... I guess I'm eating dinner at the Saiki's again,' I think while grabbing a few apples. Once I finish grocery shopping, I make my way home and change into one of the new shirts I bought and a pair of regular jeans. I grab the flowers that I also bought from the store and head over. I knock on the door and Kurumi excitedly opens it.

"Y/n! Right on time! And what beautiful flowers! I'll put them in a vase right now, come on in!" She exclaims and rushes away. I walk into the house to see Kusuo and another boy. He has shoulder-length blonde hair and an antenna device on his head similar to Kusuo's.

"When mom said Kusuo was having a friend over I didn't think they'd be cute," the boy says, "Hi, my name is Kusuke and I'm Kusuo's older brother." He grabs my hand gently and kisses the top of it, I raise my eyebrows, surprised by his forwardness.

"Nice to meet you, I'm y/n l/n," I respond. 

"A pretty name for a pretty girl," he remarks while letting go of my hand.

"Thank you," I say feeling somewhat bashful from the compliments. Before I can continue Kusuo interjects.

"We'll be upstairs until dinner is ready," he monotonously says, already heading up the stairs.

"That's not fair, I want to talk to y/n more," Kusuke pouts. I take a step back and remove my shoes. For some reason, the atmosphere is a little tense so I decide to follow Kusuo without questioning it.

"Too bad," Kusuo responds sending a look towards his brother. As I follow Kusuo up the stairs, Kusuke sends me a small wave and sweetly smiles at me. I return the smile and continue on my way. We make it up to his room and he closes the door. I move over to his desk and sit down in the chair while Kusuo stands by his bed, looking down at manga that clutters his bedsheets.

"I didn't know you had an older brother," I say and Kusuo just nods. It's quiet.

"Is he a psychic too?" I ask and Kusuo shakes his head no. It's silent with a weird tension in the air. Kusuo is tinkering with something on his desk, avoiding eye contact with me.