THIRTY-THREE

I was floating

I was floating.

The bathtub was large enough that I could sink down into the water and float on my back, completely stretched out. Tipping my head into the water, I let my hair swirl around me in the suds. With a gradual arch of my spine, my breasts peaked through the surface, the cool air hitting them. I squeezed my eyes shut, letting the darkness and water wash over me.

The only thing that I could hear was my own heartbeat and gentle breaths.

And then my deep moans, echoing through the water.

Because a hot mouth had covered my nipple and was sucking on it. A tongue swept over the tip, flicking lightly. I arched my back further, giving more access.

My entire body was senseless, weightless. All I could feel was the light caress of bubbles skirting along my curves beneath the water—that, and the silken kisses that were pleasuring me above the surface.

All I could hear was my own body responding to being touched. All I could see was the dancing dots on the inside of my lids, a monochrome kaleidoscope.

Bren's mouth moved to the other breast, and I arched even further, dunking my head back into the water. My lips parted, breathing above the surface while my body pulsed beneath it.

His name flew from the tip of my tongue, and the water absorbed it.

He was all around me.

And then suddenly, he was gone.

I sighed, resigned to floating once more. But Bren caught that sigh with his mouth, surprising me as he kissed me gently. A hand slid into the water, cupping the back of my head. And then Bren's kiss deepened as he held me there, keeping me from going under completely.

He'd never let me go under completely.

Warm water caressed my cheeks and hot breath hit my skin. His tongue flicked across my bottom lip, licking a drop of water off of it. Our heavy breathing vibrated through the still water, filling my submerged ears. Everything was muted, muffled. Everything except for the sounds we were making. Bren's light moan was amplified beneath the surface as his mouth moved slowly over mine.

It wasn't an urgent kiss. But that didn't mean it wasn't hot. God, the water must be a million degrees.

Just as I was about to tug on Bren and pull him in with me, he vanished. Lips dragged off of mine. The hand released me.

I waited for him to reappear, but to my disappointment, he didn't. I let my body soak and float again, relaxing for a moment before I pulled myself into a sitting position. The water dripped over me, cascading in quickly cooling rivulets. I slicked my hair back with my hands, wiping away the moisture on my face before opening my eyes.

Bren sat on the edge of the bed beside the tub, wearing a pair of sweatpants and nothing else. His arms were crossed over his bare chest, and I couldn't help but notice the way his fists were clenched, forearms tensing. Veins rippled, briefly drawing my attention. His eyes were hard and dark, but his smile was soft.