86. The Impenetrable Fortress (Part 2)

Special: The Impenetrable Fortress (Part 2)

(A/N: Slight Trigger Warning! Do not read if you are sensitive to physical abuse, drug abuse, and/or dark thoughts.)

.

.

Cordelia POV

I sat as silently as a mouse and tried to pretend that I was nothing but a whisp of air.

After all, my original father had just come home from work.

And as long as I didn't say a word...nothing would happen.

He had come home somewhat drunk and he stumbled through the doorway with a hazy look in his eyes.

Luckily, he was so intoxicated that he couldn't even see me huddling in the corner of the room and simply ignored me.

I gave a small sigh of relief.

It looks like tonight will be peaceful.

"F-ck...Where the hell is the beer?!" the man cursed as he opened up the fridge and realized that nothing was inside.

I flinched.

You drank every last drop of it...so there can't possibly be anything left...

"Hey! Clara! Where are you?!" the man howled as he looked around the room, attempting to find me.

I curled up into a smaller ball, hoping that I would magically become invisible and that he wouldn't see me hiding from him.

But, unfortunately, the apartment room was small, so his gaze landed me within moments of looking.

The look on his face was dark and warped with unreasonable rage.

He stomped his way over to me and pulled me up by my hair.

"Did you drink it all or something?! Did you think you could hide it from me?! Huh?! Answer me!" he yelled into my ears.

He dragged me to the center of the room and I did nothing to stop him.

I fell to the floor by his feet and, when I looked up at him, I could see his hands clenched tightly into fists, ready to beat me.

Ah...

This is why I hate this world so much.

.

.

.

.

When it was finally morning again, my father had already left and it was time for me to begin finding a way back to the other world.

Although I had no idea what I should do or how to start, I didn't want to give up.

Not yet...

The day I give up will be the day hell freezes over.

But, first things first, I needed to find out exactly what day it was.

There was no clock or calendar in my old, worn-down apartment room and, in my case, I didn't have a phone either.

I opened the creaky apartment door and took a peek at the sky to make a guess at what the time was.

It was early morning and the sun was already shining brightly over the city made of stone.

I stood still, completely mesmerized by the long line of beeping cars on the smooth concrete of the roads and the tall buildings which towered over them all.